• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liability insurance, Workers Compensation, guidance needed!

depps74

One of my clients of 4 years just asked me to provide a certificate of insurance. They also required me to sign a hold harmless contract and to show that I pay workers comp. This sort of blidnsided me as most of my clients are museums and have never asked for that before because their own policies must cover anyone near the art at all during installation. No matter what I probably should have insurance, but I dont know anything about it or workers comp. OUr business is lcoated in Brooklyn NY.

To clarify I need help with:
a certificate of insurance (brokers, what to expect, costs etc...)
workers comp. (how to get it, how much it should cost)

Thanks fellow signmakers! Cheers to reality

d

equippaint

Find an insurance broker, this is what they do. None of this is out of the ordinary and you should already have all of this. It's not the clients responsibility to cover your liability during installation and theirs will not cover what you are doing anyways. This is why they are asking you for this.

binki

If you have insurance for your business talk to your rep. If you don't call your homeowners or auto insurance and see if they offer it. AAA offers business insurance via The Hartford.

A general $1 Million Liability insurance policy (which also includes all your equipment and a laundry list of other stuff) may be $50 to $150 a month. Workers Comp is based on a % of payroll. I don't know about NY but CA Workers Comp is required.

asd

you need to talk to an insurance agent, if you are renting a space to operate your business you at least need to carry liability just in case something goes wrong you have some coverage, workmens comp is required by law if you have employees. When you are hired as a subcontractor most of the time you are going to be required to provide proof of insurance so when something goes wrong you are the one hook and not them.

Billct2

Definitely shop it around. Workers Comp is if you have employees, it usually doesn't cover you.

Jean Shimp

Not sure about New York but in Florida if you are structured as a corporation, officers can elect to be exempt from Work Comp coverage. Employees must be covered. We lease our employees and they get WC through the leasing company.