• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Life span of a print from an HP Latex 560

Joshua Barnes

We are printing 2nd surface on clear Arlon 4500G, backed with white vinyl, mounted to plexi. The question is, how long will this print last outside with lots of sunlight? We need it to last years.

Multiple years should not be an issue with this application. In typical laminated applications, HP messages 5-years of expected longevity. By way of comparison, the 3M MCS Warranty is 7-years with this inkset.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
I find the standard HP latex ink has absolutely horrendous outdoor UV resistance. I printed a few wraps on 180/8519 that saw extreme fading in under 1 year. Completely unacceptable. By comparison, I have wraps out in the field over 10 years old from many other inksets. In general, the HP Latex technology has been a complete failure for me, and it is by far my most idle machine in the shop.

OhioSigns

I find the standard HP latex ink has absolutely horrendous outdoor UV resistance. I printed a few wraps on 180/8519 that saw extreme fading in under 1 year. Completely unacceptable. By comparison, I have wraps out in the field over 10 years old from many other inksets. In general, the HP Latex technology has been a complete failure for me, and it is by far my most idle machine in the shop.

Odd... We wrapped our flatbed in November of 2016 and it still looks like new but we only wrapped the vertical surfaces, no hood. It never gets washed or waxed and it sits outside all the time. It's never garaged and sees Ohio's winters and summers. We used 3M IJ180CV3 and 8518, printed on our HP360.

OhioSigns

Question for both Ohio and Michael, how many passes did you run the prints at?
I run a 560 that is laughably underutilized, but we primarily fab larger signs and the printer is supplemental to that side of our work. That being said, I run almost everything at 20 passes. You have a vehicle that needs wrapped, 20 pass, have a wall wrap? 20 passes. Want a sh*tty little banner? 20 passes. So far, except for one particular incident involving nikkalite reflective on roughly 160 directionals, my colors have held up over the years very well.

Wraps and anything that is long term outdoor gets printed at 12P-CMYKcm-110
Banners are 10P-CMYKcm-90
General Decals are 12P-CMYKcm-110

ikarasu

You guys use such slow passes. We 8 pass everything... 10 pass a few things. I know of people who get away with 6 passing most items.

I printed a red warning decal the day I got our 560. Stuck it out facing the sun, No laminate or nothing .. 4 years later and it looks just as good as a brand new one.

I'm in Vancouver, so not the harshest weather... But you should not get fading after one year when it's laminated with a UV laminate even in the heart of Texas.

OhioSigns

You guys use such slow passes. We 8 pass everything... 10 pass a few things. I know of people who get away with 6 passing most items.

I printed a red warning decal the day I got our 560. Stuck it out facing the sun, No laminate or nothing .. 4 years later and it looks just as good as a brand new one.

I'm in Vancouver, so not the harshest weather... But you should not get fading after one year when it's laminated with a UV laminate even in the heart of Texas.

I've printed some billboards that are left up year round. They wanted them cheap so the sponsors could change out their advertising after a couple years. We did Arlon DPF510 vinyl with no lamination mounted to 4mm coro. They were printed at 10P-CMYKcm-90. A few were up for 3 years and they had some fading but it wasn't horrible. I can't imagine printing a wrap and it being faded that bad in 1 year when using a good lamination.

StarSign

Also remember the life expectancy does go down depending on what zone you are in and the direction it faces.

Outdoor durability for the extremely severe areas will be two years or 50% less than the durability published in the appropriate technical bulletin: Southern Florida, AZ, NV, NM, UT, TX, Southern California, Mexico or other similar latitudes

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
On our 560 we run it in 8p for standard stuff and 10p110 for vehicle decals and all of our quick, short run work. We do a majority of our big runs on the 1500's we have. Wraps always get printed 6p 110. 180, 1105EZ....etc. Whatever the client prefers mostly. Wrap on my personal boat looks great 2 years now printed on the 180 with 8518 @ 110%