Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lightbox sign in river.

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by signpost-boston, Nov 26, 2012.

1. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    yup.
    its about 16 feet long and fell out of the lightbox, off the roof and into the river.
    i have NO idea where to price an extraction. or if it is salvagable. winter is coming. i am sure the insurance company will pick this up since it is related to Sandy paying us a visit.

anybody have any examples?
    lol.

chris M.

Tags:
  2. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    first question....
    How freekin deep is the river?

#2...got a boat?
    #3...how fast is the current?
    #4...got any pictures of the sign glistening thru the water? :rolleyes:
    (possibly its out to sea by now?)

Thats a new one.

Best advice I can give, is to get a hold of someone with the "polar bear club" :ROFLMAO:

3. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Hope it has weep holes.

4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    fell out of the lgihtbox/cabinet? are you talking just the face of the sign? is the cabinet still on the roof or did that too go into the river?

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    just price out a new face. or a new sign. depending.

6. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Unless you are qualified and certified to go into rivers for retrievals, I'd say you're out of your area of expertise for this one.

Price out replacements for everything and quote as all new.

7. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    in california, the second you touch that sign, you could be involved in ALLLLL the EPA crap that goes with something being in a public waterway and potentially being harmful to the environment.

i take a fat pass on that one.

8. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Get a tribble hook and a long rope. I bet you could fish it out. We go snagging on the Missouri River in the winter and u'd be amazed at the stuff we pull in. An' that is one of the swifest rivers in the world.

9. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    ha. so many puns. so little time.
    1. it is the lexan face.
    2. the river has almost no flow. Part, the sign is sticking out of the water right BENEATH the building outcropping. midnight retrieve always works. (i got a black wetsuit. lol.) personally, i rather make a new one, but this customer cries "i have no money" when doing other projects.
    3. i am tempted to leave this one alone, but, i love a challenge!

10. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    Tell the customer to retrieve it and you would install it.

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ya gotta do... what you gotta do... to keep 'em happy.

I'd steer away from using your snorkel and wetsuit midnight special routine. Like mentioned, you aren't claiming you are going to do it, so should something go wrong, you are the ONLY one on the hook for your cheap-a$$ customer, cause you didn't get permits to conduct an illegal refurbish.

Let your customer save the money he claims he doesn't have to do it by the books and let him get in trouble should something go wrong.

I also enjoy a challenge, but doing things illegal ain't on any of my lists.

Seriously, where is the challenge in what you want to do ?? Other than proving your making a poor business decision, this seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

were & when did WATER SALVAGE fall under SIGNS???? if you answer this correctly....LET THE OWNER OF THE SIGN......RETRIEVE IT!!!!! NOT YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION!!!!