• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lightest color to print without white ink

MHester

Hey, I've been asked to make a decal on a clear vinyl that will go on an automobile back window. I have a HP310 latex printer. I've gathered that the best way to make these decals stand out on a window is to make them white, but of course my printer does not print white ink. What's the next best option? Thanks for your input :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Lightest color to print without white ink?

Change your question to "Lightest color to print without a white point using translucent inks?" and that would be black.

Without white ink you must rely on the media itself to provide a white point which is a requisite to some degree or another for printing any color but black.

MHester

Thanks everyone. If I cut white adhesive back vinyl by itself, then I'll need to put it all on transfer paper, right? (sorry, newbie here) Too time consuming for 500 decals. Thats why I wanted to print it on a clear vinyl. I was just wondering if anyone had any other advice for what color to use that would show on a widow. Yellow possibly?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
real light gray, light as you can get it.

mark-s

LOL - you can't get light grey without 1) using white ink, or 2) printing on white vinyl. Go print 20% black on clear vinyl and tell me what happens.

Fares Bayazeed

500 prints.. Farm out definitely. Too labor intensive for you to do without a printer that prints in white. Find someone with a Gerber Edge. This process makes an outdoor sticker last a long time or consider buying one yourself. There are other options as well with UV Curable Flat Beds.

Malkin

You simply will not be able to print anything to clear, that when placed against a dark surface, will be legible. All CMYK colors need white behind them to accurately reflect the color. Anything darker than the white will darken the appearance of the ink as well.

Either you need to sub out the printing to someone who can print white on clear, or (would need to set correct customer expectations for this) you can print normal decals that have a black background. Often, on small decals, the black background "blends" in with dark tinted back windows.

-Ted

Tim Aucoin

I print decals for inside vehicle windows quite a bit. Print mirror image on clear vinyl and laminate with white vinyl (obviously you need a clear adhesive on the white vinyl). You need to get just a tad creative with being able to expose the reg marks for cutting, but that's very easy. I use green tape over the marks prior to laminating. Laminate, then simply lightly cut where the green tape is, peel it up to expose the cut reg marks. Throw a little piece of white vinyl on the backside so the reg marks are visible to the plotter. Cut away! Hope this helps.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I print decals for inside vehicle windows quite a bit. Print mirror image on clear vinyl and laminate with white vinyl (obviously you need a clear adhesive on the white vinyl). You need to get just a tad creative with being able to expose the reg marks for cutting, but that's very easy. I use green tape over the marks prior to laminating. Laminate, then simply lightly cut where the green tape is, peel it up to expose the cut reg marks. Throw a little piece of white vinyl on the backside so the reg marks are visible to the plotter. Cut away! Hope this helps.

Exactly what we do. Good explanation.

MHester

Thanks everyone for the tips. I printed a few color swatches out on the clear vinyl. They looked good on my indoor windows, but when I put it on a tinted auto window, they didn't show up at all. ...just as ya'll had explained. Not sure what my boss-man wants to do at this point,but I have told him of all your recommendations. Farming it out at this point may be the quickest option, but will look into a printer down the road with white ink. Thanks again for all your advice. Hope y'all had a wonderful thanksgiving holiday. -Mary

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess after having so many days off, I'm a little foggy on this.
outside
Why, if you need to back up your print with white, can't you just start with white vinyl to begin with and print directly and stick it to the outside ??

Fares Bayazeed

Yellow is a good stand out. Depending on the number of decals you could always place white cut vinyl under the clear in the box or rectangle format you choose. Lots of decals!?! Try screening in yellow at 20% in the area you were to put white. Our 310 does a good job with screens for the backer. There is always the option to go with a frosty substrate vinyl which gives the appearance of a screened white. Of course the reason to have a white backer on clear is so that the print does not get lost in the backseat. Picky customer that wants white on clear!?! -
Job it out to someone with a flatbed.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I guess after having so many days off, I'm a little foggy on this.
outside
Why, if you need to back up your print with white, can't you just start with white vinyl to begin with and print directly and stick it to the outside ??

For inside application. Hard to print on the adhesive side.

MHester

Everyone has great suggestions, thanks so much. The customer decided to to with plain white vinyl instead of clear, so now the job is a piece of cake. Whew....
Thanks for all your suggestions, I learned something new :)