• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lime Green Foil on top of Matte Black

cmaxdesigns

Can anyone educate me as to my limitations with wrapping a car in Matte Black and overlaying a Green Foil Vinyl to market my business. For one where can I buy foil wrap vinyl? Will the Foil Vinyl stick to the Matte Black vinyl. Can you see foil vinyl at night or would I have to buy reflective material for that? I am wanting to countour cut the foil vinyl to make complex shapes and my logo out of it.

My biggest question is can it be done professionally or will I have many problems installing. Secondly what vinyls should I use. Lastly has someone completed a wrap like this? Thanks for any help.

- cmaxdesigns

iSign

does "foil vinyl" mean a mirror finish?

I don't know if a green foil even exists, but that sounds like the biggest challenge.

Have you wrapped vehicles before?
Are you going to wrap your vehicle yourself?
What business are you promoting with the wrap? Signs? Wraps?

Do you have a design yet?
What vehicle are we talking about here?

...as for what troubles you may have... if you haven't done a significant amount of vehicle wrapping, you can expect large solid matte black areas to be difficult to produce good results with until you have some experience.

If the design isn't done, it's difficult to anticipate other problems, but the idea of foil concerns me most, as most chrome type products are not ideal for wraps, although if you limit the green foil to flat areas, you might have better luck. I like thermal printing of chrome foil on high performance vinyl, and maybe that could work for you if you don't require large areas, and if there is a green "medal" series foil available through Gerber, or if a translucent green could be overprinted on top of chrome...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If the design isn't done, it's difficult to anticipate other problems, but the idea of foil concerns me most, as most chrome type products are not ideal for wraps, although if you limit the green foil to flat areas, you might have better luck. I like thermal printing of chrome foil on high performance vinyl, and maybe that could work for you if you don't require large areas, and if there is a green "medal" series foil available through Gerber, or if a translucent green could be overprinted on top of chrome...

I wouldn't recommend the medal foil series since it's rated for indoor use only. I would expect a lime green spot foil would work well on 3M Deluxe Silver and would allow the mirror look to come through. It might require a high LPI halftone with a percentage fill to look best.

The reflection would be like a mirror and not like reflective film. So it's going to light up when headlights hit it better with reflective for sure. Just depends on what look you want.

I agree on sticking to the relatively flat areas with either film.

Patrick46

It doesn't sound like you have much experience in doing wraps, so sure, doing your own vehicle is the best way to learn how.
But it also sounds like you don't have much experience working with foil vinyls (chromes and such), 'cause if you did then you'd know that foil vinyls do NOT cooperate with compound curves and shapes that you'd experience with doing a wrap. Reflective is alot more forgiving in that area.
You should also know that laminating vinyls on top of one another is just fine. They stick like crazy to each other.

cmaxdesigns

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a couple years experience designing and installing wraps, however, I have never touched foil before and thought it would be a nice (fresh) touch. Again I am seeking your input because I am unaware of the foil limitations. The Matte black while looks nice does not have marketing capabilities and I wanted to market my "Wrap" business with the foil. Again if it can't happen then ok, I will trash the Matte Black idea as well but I just needed to know how the foil vinyl would react to the Matte Black vinyl.

Once again I appreciate all the feedback.

jay*doc

A little bit to add to this topic, a few days late.

Reading what you are trying to do, I do have a suggestion. I would get 970RA in Matte Black from Oracal, printing a whole car matte black does not always have the best results. Then, if you want th "Foil" look, listen to the above advice and stick to simple areas, flat or non-compound curves. Then, to top it off, I'd suggest using 8300 from Oracal, which is a transparent film. I'd cut the same images that you cut in chrome out of the transparent green, only with a .25 outline. After the chrome is applied, lay the transparent green over it, and it's actually going to encapsulate the chrome, giving it a little added protection.

As far as lighting up compared to reflective, to "green foil" look will bounce back the light for sure, but it could get a little glare look to it, as where a reflective will illuminate towards the source of light. in my opinion, the reflective will be more legible for a 24 hour ad, but the green foil will be a cooler look for creativity.

Good Luck! Post some pics!