• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lines on print ( help need with media comp or other ... ) CJV30

vivi0512

in france !
Hello again guys, here i am to disturb you again :confused: with my beginner questions ,

I have a small problem, witch is not very bad, because i m printing 95% for road side signs ( anybody look at it very close ) and cars signs for plumber, electricity repair man ( don't know the good word in english ),

and this kind of customers, don't really look close the printed media, so it is not hurry, but i m perfectionnist,

i ve seen the possibility of my CJV30-100 from another owner of this printer, and my print quality is not optimal as i should have.

I explain my head is brand new ( less than 6 month ), the trace test is good , 2-3 tiny lines missing in the magenta but 98% ok...

I ve lines in all my print like in the picture ( the orange pattern is about 10cm x 4cm )
20171210_183640.jpg

------
After that one last questions :

is that normal that even if i set in the job editor of rasterling to print in 720x1440 with an ES3 profile i found on mimaki website, i still have 540x1080 on the printer small screen, i guess i m losing some quality if it prints in the lower resolutions.... am i wrong ?

Can you tell me where to set the resolution ? ( and how to force the printer to print in the higher.... )

thanks a lot for your future help !

OmegaAdv

Wow...it's awful man. This spot color have to be perfect and in 720x540 dpi. Try bidirectional align first for the misslining left and write or print in unidirection, and make media comp for passes where overprint. Try with much more heat for that spilled ink. with much passes to have good fixation of ink pass by pass.

Every profile is made for resolution, passes, media comp, heat and speed. You dont get good quality if print in 720x1440 with profile for 540x1080.

vivi0512

in france !
Actually this is a 24 passes printed in BI-DIRECTIONNAL, but it is a picture taken from very close, and temp is : pre 40°C print 40°C POST 50°C is it ok ?

but i take the picture immediatly without waiting for the ink to dry.... here i take a result printed few days ago , and put on my own car... as you see as you get at more than 50cm from the car you don't see anything,
but it is still a problem for small stickers , or high quality print....

So you advice to me to print in UNI for testing, ?

how do i align the bidirectionnal print mode? isn't the printhead alignment who do that ?

Again don't fall of your chair :eek::eek:, my phone is at 5cm when i take the picture, it is very close...

20171210_203931.jpg

20171123_122850.jpg

OmegaAdv

Your printer is not aligned, yes print in uni to see that your bidirectional align is very bad. You have to didn't see that left and right misslining in orange above.I print at 40-45 gloss vinyl pre print. When you print click function and see what is feed comp.
With new head you have to get 8pass perfect quality. I don't have pictures here to send, but you have to get a perfect not lined image, not a line in the picture.

vivi0512

in france !
hello, i had time to try somes tests this morning because of the weather,

I try in unidirectionnal and in deed, it will resolve the left/right "blur" of ink , so we found a first problem and the quality is better,

Anyway there is still a problem because even if i do the media comp setting and i print after i have this result : ( here in 200-300% zoom )

i still have lines, and to answer blackthorn, i have 0 on the media compensation setting ( in the remote menu )
20171211_145128.jpg

After that i re-do the media comp setting and i noticed that when i have a small gap between 2 passes, i found that the gap is very small on the right and a little bit higher in the left , like the printhead is not aligned with the X axis ( left -> right axis ), is there a setting for that ? it is very very infime, but just in case i prefer to ask.

Also to be sure when i do the head align settings, somes of the sticks in some patterns are not exactly vertical , somes are a little bent, maybe the printhead is to high of the media ??

again thanks for your help

OmegaAdv

That's what I mean.I get a trashed print here to see it. It is printed on my old JV3 360x720 16pass. There is a consistent color like a cutting ploter's vinyl.
And picture(JV33.jpg) of printed glossy vinyl with JV33 540x1080 24p bidirectional. The head is with problem cyan and magenta. but with 12p prints like that also. but to see that your setup is not good.

Im happy if can help you.

Attachments

• viber image2.jpg
    viber image2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 187
  • viber image.jpg
    viber image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 201
  • JV33.jpg
    JV33.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
From what I see it looks like you are possibly using cheap vinyl and/or the heat settings are too low. The ink is pooling up rather than spreading and drying. Unfortunately this happens more often with the ES3 inks. My first recommendation would be to switch to the SS21 inks which dry faster and have better scratch and sun resistance. That will probably fix some of the issue. Then I would go through all of the alignments as it looks like the head is not aligned.

vivi0512

in france !
you really have a perfect print as i ve seen on other's printer....

@ VanderJ : for the alignment i have done it already but i still have these lines ( for the alignment, i print in unidirectional if i need , i don't print 10 SQ meters each day, so it is not a problem to have slow printing.... )

Here is the picture for you with a ruler ( you see better )
http://www.arobase-micro.com/20171211_175058.jpg

So to having the same...

Do you think it is only me who don't set the media comp setting Well ? or maybe the fact that the "media comp" print test is misaligned for a nanometers :eek: in the X axis... ?

vivi0512

in france !
I use ORAJET3164XRA most of the time with laminating for the "road side" composite panels, and an other ORACAL polymeric vinyls for cars, but this test is on the ORAJET3164XRA.
It is not an expensive vinyl but it is ORACAL BRAND, so it is not the cheapest and not the most expensive. ( i would say entry++ or middle range product ).

Please not that my goal is not to print photography i print for signs and cars who are destroyed or changed every 4/5 years....

VanderJ : on others media , like printable flex ( for clothes ) it print verry well, but still have these lines... my problem is not really the rendering or the ink that doesn't dry, i m satisfied with this.
I use my printing next day most of the times, and in 24h the ink dry well , and the render is smooth after drying, but i will try more hot for the heater, we are in winter after all in france ^^

Do you think it is only me who don't set the media comp setting Well ? or maybe the fact that the "media comp" print test is misaligned for a nanometers in the X axis... ?

OmegaAdv

My also, Orajet monomeryc 3164G. Im new with JV33 and Im interested to know how the head have to be aligned.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Oracal should be fine but you do get bad rolls once in a while. Unfortunately, specifically on the CJV30, towards the end of the manufacturing the Y-bars were coming out of China bent slightly which is enough to affect the print. If your media comp looks good on one end but not good on the other, either the head slant alignment hasn't been done or you got one of the bad Y-bars and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Hopefully it's the head slant that is off. If that's not the case then I would blame the ink. ES3 inks are just not as good at making solid prints as the SS21 which is why there aren't nearly as many people running ES3.

Jamie0075

I’m curious what your print test looks like. My magenta on my vp540 had 3 clogged nozzles 2 of which were in series.. ( beside each other) I had lines and could not get rid of them until I got the print head cleaned.

Neil

you really have a perfect print as i ve seen on other's printer....

@ VanderJ : for the alignment i have done it already but i still have these lines ( for the alignment, i print in unidirectional if i need , i don't print 10 SQ meters each day, so it is not a problem to have slow printing.... )

Here is the picture for you with a ruler ( you see better )
http://www.arobase-micro.com/20171211_175058.jpg

So to having the same...

Do you think it is only me who don't set the media comp setting Well ? or maybe the fact that the "media comp" print test is misaligned for a nanometers :eek: in the X axis... ?

In that picture, your dithering on the top of the black looks weird. I reckon you're using a wrong setting in your rip..
There should be dots, not lines.

Also, you need to do a drop position test/ adjust to align bi-directional passes, not media comp.

vivi0512

in france !
Neil this is the non-ended part at the top ( i stop with local/remote button ) because it was a print test,
what setting can it be in the rip ? ( i use rasterlink )

----
To add more information here is the trace test, i have holes in magenta, but almost nothing in other colors, but i think this is not enough to make lines like this ? am i wrong ?

20171213_200333.jpg

Neil

Neil this is the non-ended part at the top ( i stop with local/remote button ) because it was a print test,
what setting can it be in the rip ? ( i use rasterlink )

----
To add more information here is the trace test, i have holes in magenta, but almost nothing in other colors, but i think this is not enough to make lines like this ? am i wrong ?

20171213_200333.jpg
Yes, looking at that picture with the ruler, I can see that it was stopped mid print. That's how I can tell your dithering looks strange and coarse.
Also you said your using 720x1440 profile, but the printer is only showing 540 x 1080 means your settings aren't being sent to the printer.
I don't use Rasterlink, so don't know how to adjust it, but I would look on the printer for a setting which allows the software/rip to control the parameters.
The machine may be ignoring the commands.
Check Function/...Priority should be All Host. If it's All Panel, there's your problem.

Also do drop pos adjust!
Function/...Drop Pos Adjust.

vivi0512

in france !
I ve done it !!!!

Thanks all of you for the different suggesting,

my problem was at the same time :

-> Wrong setting and profile (the profile that i was using was not " received " , maybe it is a bugged profile... ) i use a new profile that i download on mimaki profile website and it is great , i have line instead dot on the "non-ended print part " as you can se Neil also the printer take now the good 720x1440 résolution ( it is written on the lcd screen )

-> i re-do the media comp + drop pos ajust.

All is great now, i don't have lines on my printings anymore, and my print are very nice, i m sure i can have it better, if i get a microscope, but it's really enough for my customers and mine ;);)

here is the picture :

20171214_134438.jpg

20171214_134453.jpg