• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Wrap

phototec

Liquid Wrap, is this the future?

[video=youtube;5-34aiexiOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-34aiexiOU&list=PL89C39D89A998CB74[/video]

:smile:

s.hack

This is actually the present. It's called plasti dip (plasti dipping). A lot of people have been doing it for a while, if you do a simple YouTube search you'll find plenty of results. The process of applying it is easy, but the finish looks terrible when compared to vinyl, especially when you're a few feet away in person. Its also not durable at all.

visual800

who the hell uses conventional spray guns anymore?

yes they have been doin this for awahile on the ford super duty forums Im on aned I think it is another worthless fad that IS NOT MY FUTURE

Auburnpeanut

If that is the same plasti-dip for covering wrench handles and the likes, I don't see how that can be durable at all. Besides if you are going to go through that much trouble to mask everything off, why wouldn't you just paint the thing?....

ChicagoGraphics

I did my neices SUV last year in a matte black and then my nephew did his jeep in a matte white. And when your sick of the color you just take it off.

copythat

Not bad but not great

I rent mailboxes also and I have a renter that ordered his own supply to do his Smart vehicle. Let's just say it wasn't too smart of a look when he finished.

ChicagoGraphics

Does it just peel off? How hard/easy? If it gets chipped by rocks, does it start coming off?

No it doesn't really get chipped, like my nephew does a lot of off roading and its stuck on there.

How anyone can screew up sparying plasti dip is beyond me, I used a Wegner electric spay gun

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I wouldn't completely write it off.

We have played with it to compare the look, feel, durability etc vs wrap material. We had to know to be able to sell against it. It has its place. The look is all based on quality of work. We had a customer that produces custom show ATV's and side x sides and was building a ATV that was bright yellow. He wanted us to wrap it for a promotion. There was not enough money in the world..... We decided to plasti dip it and it came out great. I put a piece of 3m flat black down against it and it was hard to tell the difference look wise.

The pros are:

Its cheap and removable
If done right it can look good.
There are new colors along with metal flakes and pearls.
It can be freshened up.
It is quite durable on most surfaces. (Not ATV plastic but not much is)
You can do emblems, wheels, grills etc very easy.

The cons:

It doesn't have the smooth feel of wrap material.
The light colors seem to hold dirt.
The usual issues with spray products (mess, cleanup, fumes etc)

There a few shops in my area that do it and they stay very busy. The problem is like anything, the market will saturate with poor quality hacks.

Here is the atv I did and a mirror on one of our cars as a sample.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 121
  • atv1.jpg
    atv1.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 152

NateF

I have a local tanning salon owner here who had his car done (his brother actually owned a shop and did the work). He went with bright orange, but said it faded after just a few months since there were no UV protectants in the plasti-dip (this is just what he said - I have not verified if it's true). He left it on for just a few months and then peeled it off.

Chriswagner92

I have plastidipped the roof on my 350z with a couple of rattle cans from home depot and it looked good..when it was wet... from like 20 feet away. it leaves streakes and is a lot harder than it looks to remove. It doesn't all come off in one piece like most videos show and if i were to do it again i would do vinyl.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have plastidipped the roof on my 350z with a couple of rattle cans from home depot and it looked good..when it was wet... from like 20 feet away. it leaves streakes and is a lot harder than it looks to remove. It doesn't all come off in one piece like most videos show and if i were to do it again i would do vinyl.

The more coats the easier it will come off and the smoother it will look.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have a local tanning salon owner here who had his car done (his brother actually owned a shop and did the work). He went with bright orange, but said it faded after just a few months since there were no UV protectants in the plasti-dip (this is just what he said - I have not verified if it's true). He left it on for just a few months and then peeled it off.

Florescent colors will fade just like florescent vinyl. There are bright colors that are supposed to hold up better. We are doing some testing with an electric lime green right now to see how it holds up.