• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Little bitty red dots in white background???

obryan

We have a major problem with our JV3- 160SP. This problem is when we print jpeg, Photoshop or really any file that has white background or text. White areas have little bitty red dots in the area. It really noticeable when you apply the graphic to a white surface as cars, trucks, esp. Does anyone know to fit this problem…. Thanks in advance…

speedmedia

I had this problem once before and it seems that I didn't have a 100% white in my file. Can't remember exactly what it was but I checkout out the file and adjusted that and it fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Kurt

obryan

we have changed profiles, cables, and got a new computer. still has lettle red haze dots has not helped fix this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're lost........:frustrated::frustrated:

iSign

I notice in your profile that you use Flexi. I use Flexi with my Mimaki as well, and I used to have that problem years ago. I'm afraid I don't recall the solution entirely, but we did resolve it. (I'm thinking it was some color management settings in Flexi that are over my head, and therefore easily forgotten) However I have one band-aid solution to offer for possible help in some cases. This will not fix it in all cases, but on some image files, where the only, or the most noticable white area of concern is the area surrounding an image (rather than dozens of inside contours of letters etc.) you can open in Flexi, then under the bitmap menu, open bitmap toolbar. From there you can access the magic wand & select the white area, then hit delete. As I said, for one big white bounding box around a colorful logo, this might be an easy fix... but if there are a bunch of letters where the middles all have to be selected, it quickly becomes not worth the trouble.

As for the real solution that I don't recall... I'm wondering if "whitepoint" has something to do with it.

obryan

We have a major problem. This problem is when we print jpeg, Photoshop or really any file that has white background or text. White areas have little bitty red dots in the area. It really noticeable when you apply the graphic to a white surface as cars, trucks, esp. Does anyone know to fit this problem…:banghead::banghead::frustrated:. Thanks in advance…
<!-- / message -->

ChiknNutz

Pretty sure this has to do with your Media Profile. Even when you say it is WHITE or BLACK or any other color, the RIP still mixes those colors in whatever proportions it has been told to do...regardless of what YOU say the color is. The media profile was likely made using a media with a whitepoint that the RIP is trying to compensate for by adding a little bit of magenta to bring it back to "white" again. No media is perfectly white. In your quest to rectify this, have you considered making your OWN custom profiles? That will almost guarantee the results you are looking for.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you white is not an overprint white.

If you did not create the jpg, often times it is not white. You can use the eyedroper tool to find if it's white or not. If it's not 100% white you can use a color mask and delete the white or just select it and delete it.

Cvet

What rendering intent are you using? Absolute colorimetric will change your white point if the jpeg/tiff/bmp/... is tagged with color profile different from your working color profile in Flexi. Make sure you use the embeded color profile from the file.

This issue (often called smudge dots) is a common problem. One thing that will almost certainly cause it is the use of a Rendering Intent called Absolute Colorimetric. It is intended for Proofing applications, but will change the color of the background of the page in so doing. Use the Perceptual RI (or Relative Colorimetric) instead.

Another thing that can work is to turn off Color Management, specifically the ICC Profile for that job. In Flexi's RIP, that would be done on the Color Management Tab, by de-selecting the Color Management checkbox.

Flexi also offers a series of of tools called 'Pure Hue' in version 7.6 and above. You would enable the checkbox for White - I don't know that it will work in bitmaps however.

Bob

bendeane

Transparent instead of white...

I notice that sometimes when I print files with white areas, I get some tiny bits of color. Usually not a problem in a large file with lots of color plus white areas, but I can see where it might be a problem when applying to a white surface. I usually make sure all my "white" areas are actually transparent. Obviously, this can't be done with a jpeg, but can be done with a .psd. Also, flexi doesn't recognize transparency in tif files.

Used to have a guy send me RGB files and white would not really be white, and CMYK resolved the issue sometimes...

Hope you have found a solution.