• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lobby directory signs

Jean Shimp

I'm thinking about using a piece of glass mounted to a lobby wall for a directory of tenant's names in vinyl. It's easy to remove vinyl on glass, unlike other substrates, just use a single edge razor blade and scrape off the old letters and stick on new ones. What are the down sides to using glass other than breakage during transport and installation. Any concerns about a 3'x4' size? Recommended thickness, etc? Thanks.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm thinking about using a piece of glass mounted to a lobby wall for a directory of tenant's names in vinyl. It's easy to remove vinyl on glass, unlike other substrates, just use a single edge razor blade and scrape off the old letters and stick on new ones. What are the down sides to using glass other than breakage during transport and installation. Any concerns about a 3'x4' size? Recommended thickness, etc? Thanks.
Glass is a great substrate for that purpose. We typically stick with acrylic because we can do it in house, and it's easy to work with, but if course acrylic will scratch. That size is fine, I would recommend 1/4in or 3/8in thick. Get any holes you need pre drilled. Standoffs are a great mounting method. Edge grips will save you the cost of hole drilling.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to where this will be located, consider vandalism or just plan negligence. That would be a lotta shards to deal with if someone fell into it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
According to where this will be located, consider vandalism or just plan negligence. That would be a lotta shards to deal with if someone fell into it.
And dangerous falling on someone. There are codes for what type of glass has to be used in areas and for good reason. A broken sheet of annealed glass can easily kill you.

Johnny Best

It does cost more than tempered but laminated glass would not cause death if broken. It has a resin material that will hold it together if broken.

Ready

Ready To Go

If you decide to use glass, it should be Tempered glass and not plain glass. Tempered glass is around four times the strength of annealed glass, and when it breaks it shatters into small, blunt-edged pellets that are significantly less sharp. Tempered glass is also used in vehicle windows and very often in bath and shower enclosures, skylights and doors,

Bob P

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We use acrylic for these kinds of jobs, but yeah it makes a good substrate. We even sometimes skip the small cut letters - a rectangle of etched with the tenant's name printed on it looks clean and snazzy, and then you only have to remove one piece per tenant instead of many letters. And less weeding.