• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lobby sign hints and help

appstro

i am doing a lobby sign for customer . i am painting the cnc routed pvc lettering and will be gluing the letters to a clear acrylic 1/4 inch thick panel . the question i have is....how do i prep the cnc lettering for paint and what painting process and brand of paints should i use for the lettering? i need to pantone color match the paint. i was considering using 1 shot paint as they seem to have a color matching formula that you can request for their colors. but after reading many posts it seems that 1 shot may not be the brand to use for this application. i have never used an air brush or hvlp paint gun but that does seem to be the way to do this. can you tell me the best way to approach this? what brand of paint is best? thank you for your great advice, as always!

visual800

Sounds like you are already too deep in a project. Since these are interior go to lowes and buy some spray paint (no kidding) wipe the pvc off with alcohol and spray with light coats of paint. Done. If they want a pms color I suggest you tell them you can get very close.

the next time you get in a bind. Ask for help before you strart project.

CanuckSigns

i dont know how anyone can use gemini. they are so expesive. i have already cnc cut out the letters.

Gemini is not expensive, we have 2 laser cutters and we still send out acrylic letters and logos to be made by Gemini quite often, for what they charge, I can't buy the raw materials for...

appstro

Thanks guys. Maybe it's just me but every time I have ever called Gemini I am surprised at "my cost" and find it difficult to double that price to my customer. So this time I didn't even bother. Now that I look at what I paid the cnc place, I wonder though.... I paid $195.00 for all the lettering and logo and a 3'x2' piece of clear 1/4 inch acrylic...... I am guessing that Gemini would probably be about the same...

Well now that I am into this...
I have seen demo's on matthews paints and other websites where they spray the lettering. I really want to make sure that the letters are nice and smooth. Rollers just don't seem to leave a smooth surface. Latex looks nasty. So Enamel seems to be the best paint. But what paint? What prep for PVC? The spray can approach would work but I really do want to PMS match and do the best I can on this first "lobby sign" so I can use it for my portfolio. I was thinking about buying an airbrush set up and just mixing the colors needed. I am pretty good at color matching (from my days in the printing industry), but would like to make sure that I use the right materials, prep and paint the PVC letters with the correct paint.

I can't find anything on the interweb... nothing on these forums....and have no person to ask. Almost seems like nobody does lobby signs or lettering!! :) ...If you have any pointers or even detailed advice I am all ears :)

Thank you :)

"The only way to learn anything alone,... is to get in over your ears...."

CES020

PVC doesn't exactly have the smoothest edge. You're going to have to overcome that some how.

Last edited:

fresh

I have seen demo's on matthews paints and other websites where they spray the lettering.

Gemini uses Matthews paints. Just an FYI.

You may need to use a high-build primer and then sand down to get smooth edges. Another option is to use doming resin after its painted. I saw some really awesome domed letters at a trade show, and I've always want to try it out.

Good luck, let us know how it worked out.

Marlene

Thanks guys. Maybe it's just me but every time I have ever called Gemini I am surprised at "my cost" and find it difficult to double that price to my customer. So this time I didn't even bother. Now that I look at what I paid the cnc place, I wonder though.... I paid $195.00 for all the lettering and logo and a 3'x2' piece of clear 1/4 inch acrylic...... I am guessing that Gemini would probably be about the same...

Well now that I am into this...
I have seen demo's on matthews paints and other websites where they spray the lettering. I really want to make sure that the letters are nice and smooth. Rollers just don't seem to leave a smooth surface. Latex looks nasty. So Enamel seems to be the best paint. But what paint? What prep for PVC? The spray can approach would work but I really do want to PMS match and do the best I can on this first "lobby sign" so I can use it for my portfolio. I was thinking about buying an airbrush set up and just mixing the colors needed. I am pretty good at color matching (from my days in the printing industry), but would like to make sure that I use the right materials, prep and paint the PVC letters with the correct paint.

I can't find anything on the interweb... nothing on these forums....and have no person to ask. Almost seems like nobody does lobby signs or lettering!! :) ...If you have any pointers or even detailed advice I am all ears :)

Thank you :)

"The only way to learn anything alone,... is to get in over your ears...."

how on earth did you get this job and bid it without knowing how you were going to paint them? I always wonder as wen we bid a job, we know star to finish how to do it and what is involved. with that said, since this is a lobby sign, it would need to be painted without a lot of dust, dirt, bubbles, fly tracks and other issues.

SignManiac

SignManiac say you get expensive education and you live long life..

Sand your PVC and then spray light coats. I process a ton of PVC letters and do quite a few lobby/reception office signs using PVC. The final finish is a direct result of the prep work you put into the sanding and priming if necessary. We shoot Matthew's in house and in a paint booth to get a decent finish.

Here are a few examples, all pvc material. The last one is aluminum over pvc.

Attachments

• Bill Currie Ford.jpg
    Bill Currie Ford.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Rotors of America.jpg
    Rotors of America.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 83
  • GoinPostal lobby2.jpg
    GoinPostal lobby2.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Worthridge-02.jpg
    Worthridge-02.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Consulting-01.jpg
    Consulting-01.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 105

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
SignManiac say you get expensive education and you live long life..

Sand your PVC and then spray light coats. I process a ton of PVC letters and do quite a few lobby/reception office signs using PVC. The final finish is a direct result of the prep work you put into the sanding and priming if necessary. We shoot Matthew's in house and in a paint booth to get a decent finish.

Here are a few examples, all pvc material. The last one is aluminum over pvc.

Nice Examples...

To the OP... for your next lobby sign idea... take a look here.

http://artsigns.com

synergy_jim

2 things.

1) If you think Gemini is expensive, you woefully under priced your job and need to examine your pricing structure

2) Coming here and asking " How? " after its already priced also screams " I'm trying to lose $$$ over here "

visual800

Since op is not familiar with paint guns and paint he needs to use spray cans. Whats the pms color and show us a design please