• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Logo Critique?

ThatGriffGuy

I am preparing a logo for a new business and would like your general feedback. I have thick skin and will take any suggestions you care to offer. The logo is meant to be simple as it can be embroidered, screen printed, and cut from one color vinyl. I will use this logo for all purposes and will add backgrounds and outlines where needed for visibility and clarity issues in application.

Attachments

• Signs101 logo critique.jpg
    Signs101 logo critique.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 901

signbrad

It looks fine.
It does not look "computer-generated," and I think that is a plus for a graphic design firm.
Keep in mind that the thin face letters will look even skinnier on a light background. Dark letters on a light background tend to shrink a little visually, while light letters on a dark background tend to expand. This is the principle of irradiation.

Why white looks bigger than black —the Irradiation Illusion

Consequently, I will sometimes design a logo that has two versions, one for a dark background and one for a light background. The version for the light background may have a slightly thickened version of a light stroked letter style. I may also give it slightly tighter letter spacing compared to the dark background version.

Simple is good. Many of the strongest logos are simple, uncomplicated. Sometimes designers try too hard to design a logo so that it "tells a story."
When Rob Janoff, the creator of the Apple computer logo, was asked once to comment on the most important feature of a logo, he said, "Simplicity. Too often clients have long laundry lists of elements the logo 'must have.' That’s a recipe for failure. Logos need to be simple and distinctive or they won’t be remembered."

Michael Bierut of Pentagram made similar comments on whether a logo needs to "mean something" when it is first created. Here are his words from 2015:

Brad in Kansas City

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Did you design anything else? This can't be your only idea...

It actually looks computer generated to me because the script typeface is inconstant at the J and B - If it were hand lettered, it would flow better (see image)

Usually all caps script is a no-no... in my opinion, it look amateurish - and not memorable.

I looked at the video... IDK... smug advice from a guy who makes 200k a logo... I agree that not every logo has to mean anything... but it might help if it were visually pleasing. At the very least, make all your marketing visually pleasing.., since your logo represents you or your company in your absence, is this what you really want them to see?

One thing, I get that a logo should be able to be embroidered/screen printed and work with one color, BUT... if every logo had to work at the worst of conditions, it would be a boring world indeed. Reproduction of lowest common denominator should not dictate the design of your logo... thought should be given to it... but it should not be the concept...

Attachments

• JBM Graphics.jpeg
    JBM Graphics.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 791

ThatGriffGuy

signbrad I agree with you as to the color issues. This logo will be used in different colors based on the occasion but normally the way it was presented in the post.
The logo is a heavily modified brush font and a lightly modified typeface for graphics. I was aiming for a smooth stroke for JBM but not to look completely hand lettered.

Rick the photo you provided is exactly what I was trying to avoid as I am not a fan of the offset angles you highlighted. I usually agree with you on the no all caps things but in this design as the JBM are initials I chose to go with caps. When looking at numerous options int he given layout I simply didnt find a lowercase font I liked for graphics that wasn't all caps. Yes, there were several other designs but when sent acquaintances both in and out of the graphics industry, this was the commonly chosen option. Thank you for your feedback.

HDvinyl the request was for constructive opinions, not snarky insults. The logo actually has quite a bit of thought put into it. I knew exactly what I did and did not want in a logo and the name has meaning. However, thank you for your thoughtless reply.

Last edited:

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Here's some constructive criticism, I bet you will have a rebuttal for all advice given here.

You sound like all newcomers here, only want praise on their "logo". Your callused skin needs to dry out more.

ThatGriffGuy

Here's some constructive criticism, I bet you will have a rebuttal for all advice given here.

You sound like all newcomers here, only want praise on their "logo". Your callused skin needs to dry out more.

Im not looking for praise at all actually. I would be satisfied with you telling me why you dislike the logo or even suggesting change. However, snarky jabs presented as insults do not contribute to the discussion.

ThatGriffGuy

all I see are two fonts, one with a kerning adjustment. I really wouldn't put this in a "logo" category...sorry man, not trying to be rude. it's forgettable, looks like nephew art.
You are definitely correct on the description. I have paid quite a bit of money in the past for eye catching designs with catchy hand drawn lettering and design work but always end up stressed about the way the logo prints or looks when embroidered. I certainly lean towards simplicity in identifiers. lol I've never heard "nephew art" but I like it! Thanks for the feedback

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Fine I'll bite.

Look at your avatar/thumbnail, what does that look like to you? Blurry? Can you read Graphics? Can you tell that's a J?

All I see is BM, which is bowel movement.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 754

ThatGriffGuy

Fine I'll bite.

Look at your avatar/thumbnail, what does that look like to you? Blurry? Can you read Graphics? Can you tell that's a J?

All I see is BM, which is bowel movement.

Thank you! I actually forgot to change it. I have updated it now and think it looks a bit better. I completely agree on the previous design looking like crap, It was made in about 20 minutes and not meant to be permanent.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I honestly like it. It has a good feel and my only critique would be, to maybe beef up the strokes at the top of the 'M' and put something in the middle of the 'A'.

When I was doing a lotta hand painting, it had more of this look, than a straight across the top swoosh as suggested. Whether you painted off the brush or built your letters, one generally did not paint past the letter you were working on, unless you had a pattern, which is not the feel this person wants.

For those who cannot tell what letters they are, perhaps a re-fresher course in basic lettering would be to your advantage. :banghead:

ThatGriffGuy

I honestly like it. It has a good feel and my only critique would be, to maybe beef up the strokes at the top of the 'M' and put something in the middle of the 'A'.

When I was doing a lotta hand painting, it had more of this look, than a straight across the top swoosh as suggested. Whether you painted off the brush or built your letters, one generally did not paint past the letter you were working on, unless you had a pattern, which is not the feel this person wants.

For those who cannot tell what letters they are, perhaps a re-fresher course in basic lettering would be to your advantage. :banghead:

Thank you for the feedback. I do agree the top of the M is a bit narrow. More like this?

Attachments

• M Change-01.jpg
    M Change-01.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 698

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, I think you went a little too much the other way. Kinda like the cross strokes on the 'B'.

Marlene

I do like Rick's bar that connects the J and B better as the transition is smoother. When blending letters together it helps make it look more cohesive and intentional rather than just put together by computer. Overall it is nice. I love a logo done with just type and without all the junk people feel they have to throw into a logo. I'd rewrote the three letters until they fit together as if they always were together and not just off the rack.