• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Opinions

NSDdesigns

Welp, I guess this is a pretty popular thing to do on here. Here's my logo, opinions will be read with a smile.

Lets see what the like minds are feelin on this one. (either way I am to vested as of now to change it much)

On a side note, my business cards came out really BA! Props to UVbusinesscards. I'll have to post up some pics of them here soon. I just got them today.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-27 at 5.22.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-27 at 5.22.26 PM.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 258

HulkSmash

Welp, I guess this is a pretty popular thing to do on here. Here's my logo, opinions will be read with a smile.

Lets see what the like minds are feelin on this one. (either way I am to vested as of now to change it much)

On a side note, my business cards came out really BA! Props to UVbusinesscards. I'll have to post up some pics of them here soon. I just got them today.

i like the concept -- except it kind of looks like 2 logos bunched together.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
not digging how designs is cutting red into your NSD ... are you attempting to add red tape to the process of getting work done effectively? are you trying to say your designs are dangerous? they are after all cutting your business in half ... what is the other half of your business if the design is cutting it in half? is your company being renamed to NSD N5D Designs? (and yes, the second NSD's S looks like a Five/S combo) if not, why do you have NSD listed twice graphically in your logo? and lastly, why does the NSD you are cutting in half look graphically different from letter to letter?

Craig Sjoquist

1st thing I notice.... Looks like a sports cap logo.

What does NS stand for ...That is what a customer will think about, that your name in a local area, then it could work otherwise a sign of Un-trusting....just saying

vid

cryptic... it looks cryptic.

or

incongruent.

It's incrypgruentic. You've got a couple ideas going here. Each might be successful on their own. But, together they seem a little incryptgruentic to me. I'm not sure what it is or why the elements seem out of place with each other. In the thumbnail, it looks like it might be a basketball logo of some sort...

OldPaint

wow...........you spent how much time on that? sorry but mostly what it shows is not YOUR DESIGN ABILITY but the lack of it.
i take you looked at MSD IGNITION LOGO??? real close. ot maybe MILLER MGD BEER? ANDDDDDDD... the real kicker, NSD nonstop delvery:
http://www.nonstopdelivery.com/latestnews.html
i belive you need to rethink this ..........

TammieH

Frankly, I like it...just a small critique... you might try and to tie the left and right side together

SignProPlus-Chip

Definitely looks like two logos competing with each other.

If you're a graphic designer, I believe your own logo should reflect that. This logo does not give me any faith in the design abilities of the person that produced it.

Here are a couple of questions to consider AKA graphic design 101

Is your logo too tall or too wide?

Can this logo be effectively produced in B&W and Color?

Can this logo be reduced to .5" across and still read well?

Simplify the design, stay bold and clear;)

visual800

Here are a couple of questions to consider AKA graphic design 101

Is your logo too tall or too wide?

Can this logo be effectively produced in B&W and Color?

Can this logo be reduced to .5" across and still read well?

Simplify the design, stay bold and clear;)

I have to comment on this. I dont know where these statistics came from but in my opinion when you design a logo you should not worry about any other aspects except how the design looks while your designing it.

1- Who determines something is too tall and wide? a logo is what it is it should not have restrictions in the beginning process. All can be adjusted later of course

2-anything can be converted to black and white with some adjusting. If this was an important factor while designing you might as well design it in black and white

3-what logo CAN be reproduced at .5" length and be readable? mine sure cant. who the hell comes up with this stuff? and where shall a .5" logo be used at?

4. design the logo without parameters and let it fall where it may. When you start placing restrictions on doing a logo most good designers would say go somewhere else. You CANNOT have rules on design it interferes with the creative process. Your not allowed to let it all flow

Who comes up with this stuff? college grads that were "taught" design?

Concerning op post this logo aint gonna get it. the fonts are are not chosen well and we got 3 different elements going on and the do not complement the other. Get rid of the big letters and the megaphone style designs. the logo on left side is kinda cool and could be worked with

signage

I am working on a project now for a company that needs other company's logo's/names to fit within a .4" x .4" square.

fmg

Designs What? Why don't you just lose the word design and it would look 10 times better!

Jillbeans

Then why bother asking our opinions?
•conflicting angles
•obscure message
•use an icon, but make the name easy to decipher
•blah font choice for DESIGNS
I could go on, but I won't.
Love....Jill

SignProPlus-Chip

I have to comment on this. I dont know where these statistics came from but in my opinion when you design a logo you should not worry about any other aspects except how the design looks while your designing it.

1- Who determines something is too tall and wide? a logo is what it is it should not have restrictions in the beginning process. All can be adjusted later of course

2-anything can be converted to black and white with some adjusting. If this was an important factor while designing you might as well design it in black and white

3-what logo CAN be reproduced at .5" length and be readable? mine sure cant. who the hell comes up with this stuff? and where shall a .5" logo be used at?

4. design the logo without parameters and let it fall where it may. When you start placing restrictions on doing a logo most good designers would say go somewhere else. You CANNOT have rules on design it interferes with the creative process. Your not allowed to let it all flow

Who comes up with this stuff? college grads that were "taught" design?

Concerning op post this logo aint gonna get it. the fonts are are not chosen well and we got 3 different elements going on and the do not complement the other. Get rid of the big letters and the megaphone style designs. the logo on left side is kinda cool and could be worked with

Why do you assume any of what listed needs to be layed down as law BEFORE design work begins?

A general concept is always going to come first. I always sketch around a bit before polishing up a design and making it all work. But yes, a finished logo should be able to conform to all/most of what I listed.

If it's too tall or too long, how will it look when it needs to be utilized on somthing like a business card? If it doesn't read well when reduced in size, how will it be viewed from a distance?

Also, don't fool yourself, logos that are too busy and poorly designed are generally miserable when converted to B&W. Any logo should be able to be reduced to a single color and still read clearly for any simple applications, like stamps, imprints on boxes etc...

As for where these "statistics" came from...about 100 plus years of graphic design industry on planet earth.

Take a look around you and the logos of large companies:

FedEx
UPS
AT&T
Best Buy
Starbucks
McDonald's
Target
Shell
Bell
Home Depot
Subway
HP
GM
GE
Intel
Kodak
Mitsubishi
Ford Pfizer
Visa
Mastercard
Warner Bros.
Apple
Microsoft

Without question, they all follow all the guidelines I listed.

It's about simplicity, boldness, branding and overall good design.

You can and NEED to have rules on graphic design, otherwise everything would be off balance, unclear, full of tangents and utilize Comic Sans as a typeface. ;)

Now if that's not the way you work, hey, cool by me. I don't think that's any reason to snub your nose at anyone that has a focused education on the subject or may be more learned that yourself on the detailed specifics of graphic design. I'm a firm believer that I can learn something from anyone. However, those educated folks tend to have an inner rage against the people that grab a copy of illustrator and call themselves a designer the next day, so I guess it all balances out in the end;)

Deaton Design

I would try the NSD you have there, with the word DESIGNS underneath it. And get rid of the swastika looking thing on the left. I know thats not what it is, but that actually came to mind when I looked at it.:)

visual800

Why do you assume any of what listed needs to be layed down as law BEFORE design work begins?

A general concept is always going to come first. I always sketch around a bit before polishing up a design and making it all work. But yes, a finished logo should be able to conform to all/most of what I listed.

If it's too tall or too long, how will it look when it needs to be utilized on somthing like a business card? If it doesn't read well when reduced in size, how will it be viewed from a distance?

Are you understanding what your saying? "If it's too long or to tall how is it going to fit on a business card?"

How many times do you sit down to do a logo and then midway go "AW DAMN! this is too long for a business card....and then start over. Are you designing a logo for a company OR a logo to fit on a business card?

And the same with the black and white. While designing a logo are you constantly thinking "I wonder how this will look in black and white? Why would a designer have so many parameters in their mind while designing. Rules limit your creativity. I don't care for them.

As far as this coming from over 100 years of graphic design, that was a long time ago and this is a new age, I think there have changes.

And I'm not snubbing my nose at your comment. I'm commenting on it sir. I'm commenting with my opinion only no one elses

weaselboogie

I get what he's saying. If your logo is very tall or very long, its harder to use it on applications. You design a logo that tall and end up renting a storefront and your bulkhead is 15' wide and only 2' tall and your logo is mostly vertical, what do you do. If your logo were a ratio of something like 1:1.5 ratio, it would fit that bulkhead a bit better. Even better if you had the ability to restructure your logo to fit different applications, the better. A logo with text could easily fit horizontal, or a different version with the logo on top and text underneath could fit more square formats.

As far as black and white, I usually design in black in white. If it looks good like that, it will look good with different color applications.

WildWestDesigns

How many times do you sit down to do a logo and then midway go "AW DAMN! this is too long for a business card....and then start over. Are you designing a logo for a company OR a logo to fit on a business card?

And the same with the black and white. While designing a logo are you constantly thinking "I wonder how this will look in black and white? Why would a designer have so many parameters in their mind while designing. Rules limit your creativity. I don't care for them.

I agree with the theory of parameters kill creativity. However, you do have to think about the parameters of production for items outside of those that use ink(paint) to do the work. I'm talking about production items that people are more then likely going to use their logo on.

A kick *** design on the computer screen doesn't mean a whole lot if it doesn't translate well through production.

I wish designers knew more about production on all of the more popular items, or at least the more popular items that had the most severe limitations on what you can or can't do with them. You can do a whole lot more then some people think you can, especially if you have someone that knows production, but you have to know the limitations and know production in order to know what you can or can't get away with or to be creative enough to eeck out that little bit extra.

visual800

I get what he's saying. If your logo is very tall or very long, its harder to use it on applications. You design a logo that tall and end up renting a storefront and your bulkhead is 15' wide and only 2' tall and your logo is mostly vertical, what do you do. If your logo were a ratio of something like 1:1.5 ratio, it would fit that bulkhead a bit better. Even better if you had the ability to restructure your logo to fit different applications, the better. A logo with text could easily fit horizontal, or a different version with the logo on top and text underneath could fit more square formats.

As far as black and white, I usually design in black in white. If it looks good like that, it will look good with different color applications.

I also get what he is saying. Im also trying to stress no matter what you make someone logos it ain't gonna work everywhere and anywhere BUT you can always compromise and alter it if your a good designer. How many times has a repeat client claled you and said "We are moving" and you go out and what they HAD in the past ain't gonna work in this new building...you alter the logo and you make it work

However while designing a clean fresh logo there is absolutely no sense in having a bunch of rules boggling your mind and holding you back.

WildWestDesigns

BUT you can always compromise and alter it if your a good designer.

Oh I wish that was always true. The only people that I get that are willing to compromise and realize about production limitations are people that deal in production as well. People on here, other embroidery shops, other sign shops that aren't on here (or at least I'm not aware of), those are the customers that compromise.

The average end customer, nope. They want it all or nothing when it comes to this. And only a small fraction (very small) have had various versions to fit various applications, most only have one design and they want it all.

I had to design one logo crest that went from the placard of the polo to almost underneath the armpit, because they wanted that small script font and the exact same layout as their "designer" did it. No compromise whats so ever and that's the typical customer that I deal with.