• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

long lasting print on coroplast

bigben

Is there any print process that will make prints on coroplast last over than 5 years, ideally 10 years outdoor? If coroplast is the problem, I need something that is between 3mm and 6mm thick and lightweight. Would also need to be light scratch resistant (like ice in the winter).

d fleming

Coro is not a long term substrate. That being said whichever substrate best meets your needs, screen printing is still best for long term imo. But even then, reds and yellows will die in the sun first.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In reality, there's no printing system, other than screen printing, that will last 10 years, unless your prints are going indoors. As mentioned, Cor-X is only a 2 year or so exterior product at best. If you get longer, you're just plain lucky.

Who in their right mind wants a sign to last 10 years on about the cheapest substrate available ??

signage

In reality, there's no printing system, other than screen printing, that will last 10 years, unless your prints are going indoors. As mentioned, Cor-X is only a 2 year or so exterior product at best. If you get longer, you're just plain lucky.

Who in their right mind wants a sign to last 10 years on about the cheapest substrate available ??

Now a days just about every customer! Our jobs as sign professional is to educate them or pass them on to the next new sucker.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I have in the past used aluminum panels, prints done on Avery 1105 but not laminated. Installed the prints on the panels and clear coated them with 3 wet coats of automotive clear. Texas sun and one is still up from 10 years ago. The ink is fading but the vinyl isn't peeling and overall the sign looks good.

Your mileage may vary.

Andy D

The customer's job is to try and get a sign for next to nothing, that looks great, ready same day & lasts forever...
Your job is to educate them, try to change their expectations & turn it into a profitable job.. If you can't, send them to your closest competition & hope they take the job.
Nothing lasts 10 years outdoors, in full sun, without fading, even a top of the line factory paint job, on a high dollar car will start to fade and/or oxidize, if
it sat in full sun and never moved.

So if colors fade in the sun why do people get darker in the sun? Are we all fading to dark? Doesn't sound logical to me. Especially some people.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So if colors fade in the sun why do people get darker in the sun? Are we all fading to dark? Doesn't sound logical to me. Especially some people.
You wanted to know, here you go.

Melanin is the chemical responsible for skin darkening or tanning. Your skin releases melanin under the surface layers of your skin to help absorb UV radiation. The more exposure you to have UV rays from the sun or a tanning bed, the more melanin your body releases, and the darker your skin gets.

Is there any print process that will make prints on coroplast last over than 5 years, ideally 10 years outdoor? If coroplast is the problem, I need something that is between 3mm and 6mm thick and lightweight. Would also need to be light scratch resistant (like ice in the winter).

Coroplast is the problem.

AlumaCorr with cast cut vinyl graphics should meet your requirements for being lightweight and durable for up to 10 years. As far as what you call light scratch resistance, cut vinyl should hold up just fine to snow and ice, or at least I would assume it would.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Obviously they're asking for quality life from the cheapest product design. But you CAN get them close and they should appreciate that value, if you feel like jumping through hoops to save them a couple dollars. A normal 10+ year sign would prefer to be under polycarb - 3-6mm at your need. Skilled mix and match of your house inventory/trash could achieve a 10 year sign for both your gain though. Use a misprinted outdoor substrate as your base, or just plain plywood. Digitally print the face on ... cheap thin aluminum with polyester/polycarb lam, or .01 polycarb second surface, etc. Material costs go from $35 worth of coro to $80? Not a big difference here.

3-6mm ACM with a good cheap lam like 8509 will also net you $100-150 material cost for a super simple sign. That would last 10 years just fine in many applications.