• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

long time adobe user WOWed by corel x4

luggnut

after that wing tutorial with the polygon tool posted i looked into corel again by downloading the trial. i was blown away with its node and shaping... smart fill, transparency in gradients. i used corel years ago (version 3 or4) but switched to adobe mostly over color issues. but these latest offerings from corel deserve a second look by any adobe fanatic. i'm not used to it so i'm slow with it at the moment but the possibilities are tremendous. i gotta have it.. i'll still use adobe too and maybe more because of my familiarity, but for designing in vector (icons etc..) corel seems to have the edge.

R08

CorelDraw the vector king

Long time corel user here ... :clapping:
I tried illy for a while but went right back to CorelDraw.

Don't say it too loud though... there are some Adobe fans (as in fanatics) that think CorelDraw is just a toy.

signmeup

I'm embarrased to admit that I can't make head or tails of Illustrator. I have the latest version and I can't do anything at all with it. It frustrates me no end that I can't get my head around it.... it just makes no sence to me. Corel came to me very easily.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was going to make some smart a** remarks about real design software and Flexi but I won't
:ROFLMAO:

Glad you've found that you like Corel (me too).
:thumb:

wayne k
guam usa

luggnut

I'm embarrased to admit that I can't make head or tails of Illustrator. I have the latest version and I can't do anything at all with it. It frustrates me no end that I can't get my head around it.

i hear that a lot.. at my old job at another shop i was the only adobe user and the others said the same. but to me the programs are so similar just different in terminology and execution. like in illy its offset path and in corel its contour... but still the same things. i've never been an "apple/mac" guy or die hard adobe. i had just found adobe did what i needed at the time better to me. adobe, corel, flexi ... its all software for graphics. mac , PC .. just computers. but if corel will get the job done better and faster in some instances, i'll be using it.

like i always say software is just a tool of the trade, and i'm gonna use the most efficient tool for me, and from my latest looks into it, maybe corel has the best features (certainly looks like the node and shape editing is superior)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The polygon shape is pretty sweet in X4, I'm still waiting for a few polygon editing features from Freehand incorporated into Illustrator. By the way, there is Transparent gradients in Illy....

Replicator

I'm embarrased to admit that I can't make head or tails of Illustrator. I have the latest version and I can't do anything at all with it. It frustrates me no end that I can't get my head around it.... it just makes no sence to me. Corel came to me very easily.

That's me . . . Have Illy but can't use it . . . LOVE CorelDRAW !

OldPaint

iam an old corel user, been CUTTING VINYL RIGHT FROM IT..since version 3!!!!!!!!! was only a 30x30 workspace from 3 to version 6. 5 & 6 had the CUT ENGINE/CODE removed, as EURO-CUT/CO-CUT had bought the use of the code for their new programs, which they sold useing the tag line..." OUR PRODUCT WORK RIGHT FROM COREL....in vewrsion 7 they but back the cut engine/code and increased workspace to 150 FEET X 150 FEET!!!!!!!!!! 7 was the last true corel.
version 8 was a copulation of COREL 7 & XARA. corel added the best things from xara to corel 7 and called it COREL 8. from then to X4 its been small additions of a lot a good and better things.
illy...........and photoshop both drive me crazy with all the FLYOUTS......

Longtime Corel user here too (v2). Corel is very user friendly and fast. Great bang for the buck too. Where it always seems to be lacking is in its Draw import filters, print output from Draw, and random crashes (not so often anymore).

Both Illy and Draw have their place but Illy is by far more reliable.

luggnut

Illy is by far more reliable.

i can't comment on reliablity, i just downloaded the trial, because i was really impressed with its features.

print output from Draw

do you mean the colors are as good, that was one of the reasons i settled on illy years ago. i heard the color issues were fixed?

but with the trial i must say Corel seems much better at nodes and shaping, plus the smart fill, transparency in gradients.

Arstron

Up until a couple months ago, I have been using flexi and adobe exclusively (with a little inkscape thrown in). However I gave corel draw x4 a try and started realising that I liked parts of it better then the other 2 programs. Now I have the advanced artist training dvds and have realized that corel draw seems to do everything easier then illustrator and flexi! I am still designing in flexi, and will until I get thru all of the dvd chapters, then I will be designing in corel exclusively, with a little photoshop thrown in, and flexi will only be there to send files to my printer or plotter. It still blows my mind the price we payed for flexi, for it to be so bugged and to have a program as cheap as corel draw do things so much better.

Lance

The polygon shape is pretty sweet in X4, I'm still waiting for a few polygon editing features from Freehand incorporated into Illustrator. By the way, there is Transparent gradients in Illy....

Just wondering what the changes are to the polygon tool in X4 over X3.
I know, I could go have a look, but I figured while we're on the subject...............
I've used CD4, 9, and now X3, and I've had a bit of a play with Illy but couldn't get it to feel good to me, so I gave it a miss.

CD does everything I need.

:thumb::Australia

J Hill Designs

The thing I can't get past in illy is when you do a marquee select, it grabs everything the marquee box touches, whereas in corel, it only grabs what it completely covers...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Corel Draw OWNES Illustrator. I'd even think that Corel Paint is up to par with Photoshop. But Unless you are very familiar with both, you can't say that. I don't use paint. Corel always gets the eye rolling smirks because it's not the industry standard program that's taught in all the school art departments.

signage

Corels color issues are not fixed but they were improved! They are supposed to be doing even better in the next release! One of the major problems with Corels color management is it's internal engine can not be changed from it RGB profile!

luggnut

Corels color issues are not fixed but they were improved! They are supposed to be doing even better in the next release! One of the major problems with Corels color management is it's internal engine can not be changed from it RGB profile!

If this is still true with corels colors... that would be a big sticking point. i get the color i want and expect from my adobe products.

signmeup

I don't know what the colour issues people have between Corel and Illy and don't really care. It doesn't affect me. I do mostly cut vinyl or painted dimensional stuff so it matters not what the colours print like. I will say that everything I've ever sent out for print looked exactly like I wanted it to.

Most of the trouble I have with Illy is figuring out what the heck I need to tell it to do. For example, one of the first things I tried in Illy was to draw a line. Can't be done.....you have to "describe a path". WTF? Searching help for "draw a line" gets you no where.
BTW....the help files are beyond dismal....the default is an Adobe website with a few lame videos about "art boards" whatever they are. I had to post here to learn how to access the secret help files included with the program. The help file in Corel has a very handy "Corel to Illy" dictionary which was far more help than anything in the Illy help files.

My hat is off to anyone who has mastered this program....you are far smarter than I am.

Loved the comment about "Adobe Irritator". Spot on for me.