Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for 5x8 or 5x10 aluminum substrate (black)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by max, Oct 17, 2012.

1. max

max Member

Apr 11, 2011
    florida
    would anyone happen to know of any substrate that is 5x8 or 10 that comes prepainted black? its going outdoors so I guess pvc isnt an option...
    thanks so much for any advice

Tags:
  2. Guerilla Signs

Guerilla Signs Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Missouri
    Grimco has black max metal

3. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't believe Grimco carries black in anything larger than 4x8. Of course you could buy 5x8 white and paint it, but I don't think you're wanting to go that route.

4. max

max Member

Apr 11, 2011
    florida
    yea, i wouldnt mind painting it if it was any other color than black. the prepainted black panels just look so good from the factory, so nice and glossy and slick. just hard to acheive that look with a foam roller and gloss enamel...

5. Guerilla Signs

Guerilla Signs Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Missouri
    Correct on the size they only have 4X8. I missed the 5 on the original post.

6. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    what about laying gloss black vinyl on white substrate?

7. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

8. max

max Member

Apr 11, 2011
    florida
    well hell, it looks like there is no one that delivers alupanel around here...
    just my luck.

putting black vinyl on white substrate wont work because the layout of the sign has a completely black background, and you know what will happen if i run the vinyl all the way to the edge of the board..(edge curl):banghead:

9. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    Alupanel was also what I would say. Di-bond has a matte black. Alupanel has a really nice gloss mirror finish. Have you tried Proveer?

10. max

max Member

Apr 11, 2011
    florida
    yes, unfortunately they can only get 4 ft wide...
    striking out everywhere

11. BrianKE

BrianKE Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    I have never had any luck getting anything but white in sizes over 4x8. I am typically told I have to buy a whole skid/pallet of 5x10 to get it.

You could try Harbor or ( I know they carried black aluminum but only in .063 thickness and not sure how large the sheets were, I had them cut me 100 pieces that were 6"x12").

The other problem you will have is finding it locally, shipping will be a big cost.

One option is to get a sheet of white aluminum and take it to a auto body shop and ask them to paint it. I have done that for custom colors and if you find a good place they won't have a problem painting sheets, especially if they need the business! This will get you the nice smooth gloss you want.

12. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I've never had black 2mil vinyl edge curl on me before, only if I print it.

13. timco1

timco1 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    5x8

I get mine from WRISCO.