• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for a laptop to run Versaworks. Best option??

Tyson Wright

Looking to pickup a new/refurbished laptop from staples or something along those lines. Looking for suggestions for which ones to consider and some important options to keep in mind while getting one?
Intel I5 or I7?? Any input would be great. Cheers

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest the fastest processor you can afford, the I7 would be ideal. You will get marginal gains with an I9 and pay 35% more. With a top-end laptop, you will be more productive and it will last longer. AMD seems to have the lead over Intel right now but I don't know how that plays out in the laptop market.

Whether you buy an AMD or Intel laptop, don't pay extra for ram upgrades unless it is soldered to the board. They charge outrageous prices for RAM, and it is cheaper to buy quality ram and switch it out yourself. I like Dell's laptops and have a Dell Precision right now. It's a little overkill but I love tech.

In the end, a good desktop is cheaper than a laptop and easier to upgrade.

Tyson Wright

I would suggest the fastest processor you can afford, the I7 would be ideal. You will get marginal gains with an I9 and pay 35% more. With a top-end laptop, you will be more productive and it will last longer. AMD seems to have the lead over Intel right now but I don't know how that plays out in the laptop market.

Whether you buy an AMD or Intel laptop, don't pay extra for ram upgrades unless it is soldered to the board. They charge outrageous prices for RAM, and it is cheaper to buy quality ram and switch it out yourself. I like Dell's laptops and have a Dell Precision right now. It's a little overkill but I love tech.

In the end, a good desktop is cheaper than a laptop and easier to upgrade.
Cheers appreciate that

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I've had decent luck with Dell's laptops (XPS). But I do run a lenovo desktop at the moment.

+1 to that i7 processor, agree that it makes a big difference.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
My question is, why a Laptop for a RIP?
get a dedicated PC for a RIP station which ends up being faster and cheaper than a laptop.

Thing is, you can buy an "i7" but hat i7, is it a low powered 4 core version found in thin&light laptops? or is it a high end "H" version with 6-8 cores found in high end laptops?

Or you can get a desktop with 4-6 cores, i3/i5, or better a ryzen 5000 CPU that will out perform the laptop, and work out cheaper.