• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for a link or someone to hire to teach me how make a sign lightbox

0igo

I've looked everywhere for a guide on how to make a sign box but all I find are tutorials on how to make a sign box for your bedroom which is something i am definitely not interested in. I am willing to pay you to come to your shop and learn the basics of how to make an install a lightbox sign or pay you to make a really really descriptive tutorial video, where to buy the parts/ wiring/ etc... I think its time to expand my services again and i think this is the best way. any help is appreciated thank you.

by the way the light box signs I'm talking about are like the one in the picture, not the ones that have the led strip along the inside of them.

Attachments

• Lightbox Sign Signage.jpg
    Lightbox Sign Signage.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 995

fastmax

i cant do what you need but i would recommend you dont close your mind to the idea of LED's, channell letters use them now and they last longer than the bulbs. they really simplify the whole procces

0igo

i cant do what you need but i would recommend you dont close your mind to the idea of LED's, channell letters use them now and they last longer than the bulbs. they really simplify the whole procces

the only reason i didnt say the led channel is because i was looking online and seems like the whole process to make a channel letter involves a big machine that cuts out. i just dont have the space for that right now but its something i do want to learn how to do as well.

J Hill Designs

the only reason i dont didnt say the led channel is because i was looking online and seems like the whole process to make a channel letter involves a big machine that cuts out. i just dont have the space for that right now but its something i do want to learn how to do as well.

if your shop isn't UL approved you shouldn't be doing this AT ALL it will be doing a disservice to your clientele.

J Hill Designs

ill get it ul approved but for now im looking for a way to make sign light box lol. thanks for the heads up J Hill

signcomp kits would be the easiest way
but it aint easy
and it aint cheap
cheaper to order from wholesale
being in Tracy, try calsignwholesale - great people great product - they are in Modesto

player

Sign Comp, Sign Pro, Sign Tech all have manuals or blueprints.

It's pretty easy. Get a sliding compound miter saw. Cut extrusions to 45 degrees. Fasten corners together with corner brackets. Repeat with frame extrusion.

Add support gussets and raceways for electrical.

Wire. Cut face.

player

JISBN ll Designs;1271489 said:
think about it for just a second. manufacturing an illegal electrical sign ISN'T a disservice in your eyes?!?

The sky isn't falling.

UL will do special inspections, as will the local electrical authority.

0igo

signcomp kits would be the easiest way
but it aint easy
and it aint cheap
cheaper to order from wholesale
being in Tracy, try calsignwholesale - great people great product - they are in Modesto

i know exactly where they are at. thank you.

0igo

It's pretty easy. Get a sliding compound miter saw. Cut extrusions to 45 degrees. Fasten corners together with corner brackets. Repeat with frame extrusion.

Wire. Cut face.

never knew they had manuals im going there tomorrow see what i can pick up thank you.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Wire. Cut face.

Or order a knock down kit that come already cut. Then put in the corner keys, and screw together with the supplied hardware....

But wait, it's not all that hard, but you really need to watch wiring the ballast. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand the typical ballast sizes, let alone know how to read the wiring schematics. And not to mention the importance of weep holes, and even where and how to mount the ballast...

J Hill Designs

Or order a knock down kit that come already cut. Then put in the corner keys, and screw together with the supplied hardware....

But wait, it's not all that hard, but you really need to watch wiring the ballast. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand the typical ballast sizes, let alone know how to read the wiring schematics. And not to mention the importance of weep holes, and even where and how to mount the ballast...

exactly my point re: it ain't easy

order it, mark it up, sit back and wait for a painted, UL approved, ready to install, sign

SignProPlus-Chip

The lack of a UL certification doesn't make a sign illegal, unless you're in an area that requires UL certification. Dependent upon location, UL requirements are fulfilled simply by supplying the proper data sheets for the UL listed power supplies, LEDs and wire being used to fabricate a cabinet or channel letters.

It all depends WHERE you're located...not everyone lives in the same requirement bubble as you.

think about it for just a second. manufacturing an illegal electrical sign ISN'T a disservice in your eyes?!?

J Hill Designs

The lack of a UL certification doesn't make a sign illegal, unless you're in an area that requires UL certification. Dependent upon location, UL requirements are fulfilled simply by supplying the proper data sheets for the UL listed power supplies, LEDs and wire being used to fabricate a cabinet or channel letters.

It all depends WHERE you're located...not everyone lives in the same requirement bubble as you.

the OP does, though. :thumb:

A listing lab such as UL or MET is more than just filling out data sheets. You need to build sign bodies, & structures according to the NEC and the listing labs requirements. If you live in an area where a listing lab is not required and all it takes is getting a local inspector to evaluate which is based on the NEC and requirement of listing lab components I truly ENVY you. That's the way my home town was for the longest time, but unfortunately....I live in California and our governor is nick named "Moon Beam", that should say it all.

Z SIGNS

If you have no experience fabricating illuminated signage.
Do what others have suggested.Buy a knockdown kit from a signcomp dealer.
It's a good place to start.

If you want to build your own from scratch you need a metal shop and learn the skills to make it happen.

Whether it has to have a label on it that's another story.

You can be a Ul shop
Just be ready to pay between 5 & 7 large a year

hope this helps