• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a new computer! Any good Black Friday deals?

149motorsports

Looking for a new computer to run my flexi sign 12 ( i will be upgrading to flexi 12, I DO CUT VINYL ONLY), quick books, and basic surfing the web will what this computer will be used for. Anyone seen any good deals on a desktop or what are the bare mins I should be looking for?
Thanks

149motorsports

hp pavilion power 580-023w gaming tower, intel core i5-7400, nvidia gtx 1060 3gb graphics, 8 gb memory, 1 tb hard drive, window 10 $499.00

Would this be a good tower?

WildWestDesigns

Personally, I wouldn't have any computer less then 16GB of RAM now (not even my minipc in the guestroom with Atom processor has less then 16GB in it). I'm not one of those that believes in overloading RAM, video memory etc, I believe more in matching type of ram and video card to the application. But if your only resource intensive program is Flexi for cut vinyl only, then that does change things up compared to a true workstation computer that I would normally suggest.

If it's perpetually connected to the internet, I wouldn't get any version of Win 10 that doesn't allow you to defer updates. I'm not against updates in of themselves when it's a computer that's connected to an outside network (although not something I suggest period for a true production rig), but having a version of Windows that allows for MS to roll out updates when they think they are ready is no bueno. That makes Windows more of a rolling release beta OS more then anything. My dad has had a horrible experience with Win 10 updates and he doesn't run esoteric software like some of us might and in this case, and I would consider Flexi to be one of those.

Eric Butler

I just had a Windows 10 update knock out the software for our YAG laser. Get a great computer and set up a couple of virtual machines with older versions of windows. That way you can always have a stable backup OS.

WildWestDesigns

Get a great computer and set up a couple of virtual machines with older versions of windows. That way you can always have a stable backup OS.

This is what I do, I'm running everything from Win 98 to 8.1 on a Linux host. Not many people are willing to go the VM route, but for me, this works great.