• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a printer/cutter

cumbsign

Hello All -

I am currently shopping for a printer and frankly I could REALLY use some help. My husband and I started our sign business about 5 years ago - we work from our house (cause we both work for family businesses too - fun fun) ... any how when we started we thought we would really jump in with both feet and went for a 54" Roland CJ-500 - which we were told was an awesome machine. Unfortunately for us it was a pigment printer that requires coated media and lamination - We felt we got sort of burned - we had NO idea what we were doing and got absolutely no training on our new printer ... and it was not much time at all before some truly good solvent printers put mine to shame it seemed. So we stuck with vinyl ...

and here we are again ... looking for some advice ...

what I really would like to hear from you all is any sort of recommendation on a printer/cutter. Roland is really the only brand I know anything about and I would really appreciate some comments on the others. So far the versacamm seems like a good answer. I haven't really set a limit as to how much to spend - but money is always an issue - don't want to waste another 15 grand.

thanks for looking ... sorry for sob story ... just thought a little background would be good. thanks in advance for any advice!

Melissa

sign&frame

I use a roland print/cut. and very happy with it :)

I got the more powerful version which is the xc 540 and its a tank

However Roland is an awesome Company to deal with.

2 year warrenty if anything goes wrong and great phone tech support.

Btw print and cut is great space and time saver :)

cgsigns_jamie

Another very pleased Roland XC-540 owner. The XC may be a little more than you need, look into the VP-540.

The only other all in one printer/cutter I know of is the Summa, but it's a thermal printer.

Capital Signs

You may want to check out a graphtec and a Mutoh. Seperate machines, but they are both 64"... I got mine both for 21, 000, while the xc-540 may cost u between 24,500-26,000

sign&frame

true. Vp series will be more than enough printer for you :)

it fully i had it separate from knife holder when it blasted in jam paper a few time today

printer was A ok when turn of and on, you go Roland gruff

schurms

I would suggest you write down what your market is and where you want to fit into it. There are lots of options out there. I would also suggest that you look into the used market as the industry is at over capacity and used equipment is plentiful at bargin prices. Speed is important but if your a small so is cash outlay. I personally would have two machines one cut and one print. Hope that helps.

Capital Signs

1. State your budget/Possibility for cashflow
2. Look for equipment New/Used with warranty
3. Lots of GOOD used equipment is about 1/2 the price new. FLAME who is a merchant member here, is selling a 48 inch falcon for under 7500 dollars, while he bought it new for 14k! BARGAIN PRICE!

OADesign

Sign Wareshouse has a good deal going.
(Please dont start with the flames ish about SW as i am just offering info...)

Mutoh-made PrismJET® VJ48™ 48-inch printer with Mutoh Intelligent Interweave printing (Wave Printing) and 1440 dpi Epson print head (more info) $12,995.00
Vinyl Express® Q130™ 54-inch vinyl cutter with stand and Graphtec Auto Registration Mark Sensor (ARMS) (more info) $6,294.00
FlexiSIGN-PRO® with Genuine Adobe PostScript 3 RIP, complete design tools, and ARMS print-cut workflow support (more info) $4,295.00
One-year Onsite Warranty $2,500.00
Cross-over cable for high-speed Ethernet connection $50.00
Cleaning cartridges (4) $140.00
Mutoh Eco Ultra Ink (Set of 4; 1 each C, M, Y & K) $260.00
Color Camp Training $495.00
$1000 SignWarehouse.com credit. Buy supplies, clipart, accessories and more! $1,000.00
Total Value $28,029.00
SignWarehouse Deal Savings -$12,030.00
Get it all for only $15,999

Although i am huge fan of the Rolands. this is sounding like a good deal to me..

cumbsign

I really don't want to spend more than 12K ... already have a Graphtec MK2-75. But was hoping to sell it and get the printer/cutter in one to save space. I really don't think I have to have something huge ... and then do I still need a laminator with the printers on the market now?

ncpdfsb

save lots and buy a certified refurb. check out ebay Item number: 230275011417 has a six month warranty...

signs2trade

true. Vp series will be more than enough printer for you :)

it fully i had it separate from knife holder when it blasted in jam paper a few time today

printer was A ok when turn of and on, you go Roland gruff
THIS POST REALLY CONFUSED ME.......IT FULLY...I HAD IT SEPERATE ..ETC.
ANY WAY...XC 540 2.5 YEARS...GREAT MACHINE...ONLY OTHER CHOICE WOULD BE THE HP MACHINE OR A FLAT BED

sign&frame

whoops, what i meant about head separating was that the material curled up and the print head slammed into it, which made the cutter carriage to separate from the printer head part. There lol

Do not get Daige, Good for mounting but for laminating it can be a pain in butt

Headhunterx

Melissa,

Just get you another CJ500 and I will (Or someone else can ) tell you how to convert it to print great looking solvent prints out of it, like I am doing with the CJ500 I got from you. It is working great now, but, it took some doing to get it right but I can help you if you need it.

Richard