• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a rough draft/example/template for signage contract

SignPros

We've never had full, true legal 'contracts' for our lighted work, beyond the initial quote and invoice covering "50% deposit, balance due upon completion". I'd like to get more thorough, but was hoping somebody might have a contract they already use that I could go off of instead of starting completely from scratch. Anybody? Anybody? Buehler?

TIA

SignPros

I know there are several sites where they have contract templates and you can put in specifics. I've used a couple of those, but my concern is not knowing what I don't know...things that I might not think of to include in there, but that people with years in the biz WOULD...like repossession of the sign for non-payment, requirement of the customer to provide electrical to the sign site, etc.

henryz

I think in every ones case it would be different, I don't think you can legally repo a sign even if the customer hasn't paid for it because you'll be trespassing. You need to clarify the warranty and coverage, What are some of specifications of the product and services you are selling on that agreement, the electrical that is the customers responsibility and payment terms, ours is about a page long.

T_K

You may not be able to repo the sign, but you can put a lien on their business. Never had to do that myself, but from what I've heard, it typically gets you paid.

OhioSigns

Even liens may drag on. I've got a brother-in-law that has an excavation company that did some work a couple years back for a wedding venue that was close to $30k and was only paid half. He put a lien on the property and keeps it up to date and charges interest on it. One day when they go to sell it, so long as it doesn't go for sheriff sale he will be paid the original amount plus some pretty hefty interest.

GB2

Old Member
Unfortunately, I think what you need to do is reference any number of generic contracts, write your own version with the specific details you want to include, then take it to your attorney for them to review it and add what legal terms they feel is appropriate for you. Even if you copy someone else's that "sounds" good, you have no idea if it is correct for your application, state, etc.Legal Zoom is another place to obtain good generic legal documents.

ElayneW

There is a company called LegalShield that offers a small business membership which, for about $69/month, gives you access to numerous contract templates and then the law firm will review and help you adapt to your specific application. There is no contract (month to month membership) and there are many other features of the membership including unlimited advice on unlimited matters and they’ll write letters or make calls on your behalf plus debt collection letters. You also get all your HR consultation as well as consultation on tax matters, technology etc. PM me if you want more info.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're running that scared of what you don't know, don't take advice from this place !!

Go to a lawyer or legal firm which specializes in this sorta thing. There are so many grey areas no matter what happens, but believe me..... a thorough attorney might sound expensive at first, but it's one of the best insurance policies you can buy.

Ours is rather a tight contract, but it fits our needs and might not fit yours, so.... neither will anyone else's. :thumb: