• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Looking for a Small Format UV Flatbed printer.

Best choice, "startup" friendly Small-format flatbed UV printer

• Mutoh, Roland, Mimaki

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian Olm

I have zero experience in this field.
My product concept will be 100% dependents on a UV printer.

The product substrate will be a flat stock polymer, 2 mil. expanded PVC, 2.5"x3.5", compound die cut, shaped and kiss-cut.

Roland LEF-12i, Mimaki 3042 FX, Mutoh Express 30r.

These are all the smaller printers. The on-line business will offer visitors to website ability to upload their content onto a predetermined substrate. So, almost entirely populated by one-offs to be printed.

I have had samples printed for me from one of the companies listed above. Phenomenal texture and depth.

With the samples I am also collecting print time as well as ink/varnish cost.

ALL reps of their respective companies speak well, of course, of their product(s).

Any End-users of any small-format UV printer help?

Again, I do not have experience in this industry. Whatever company I choose I will be asking all of questions. I need a company that will be there for me, as well as a printer that will last through the abuse and not waste an exorbitant amount of material, (ink). Machines with sensible warranties.

From what I am understanding, these are "needy" machines. And I do understand consumables are not cheap.

"Start-up" friendly small UV flatbed printer search.

Thank-you

Raghaus

I've had my my Mimaki 3042 MKII for a little over two years and absolutely love the machine. Everything is just superb and well thought out in my opinion. Print quality, engineering and the software (a lot of people seem to hate Rasterlink – I think it's very functional and logical in my world). My only regrets would be a.) not getting a bigger machine b.) having clear instead of primer, or an 8-color machine altogether.
Back then, I decided against the Roland due to dinky Epson printheads with slower print speed, and the need for a Bofa filter for odor & don't regret my decision to this day... I frequent a UV printer forum on facebook and there's a guy fighting his Mutoh pretty much every day, all problems I never experienced with my Mimaki, but I don't have any first hand experience with Mutoh, so don't take my word for it.

Good luck with your decision.

Ian Olm

Thank you for reaching out! I have the same sentiment with regard to Roland.

How, may I ask, is the support with Mimaki. Was this your first (UV) printer?
I will have many, many questions for my chosen supplier.

As to the varnish, I've had samples printed for me (my content) and the varnish is awesome..! It offers nice depth and added interest. I can already imagine doing some very interesting things with this.

How often do you have to purge the heads on this machine? Have you replaced everything on it yet?

Again, thank you for replying.

Raghaus

It's my first UV machine – although I've been milling around in this industry for over 30 years by now and have seen everything, or so I think.
I use the machine every day & have printed some really, really cool stuff on it. I clean the capping station and wipers after use EOD. This printer is rock solid and I had zero clogs or major issues, no replacements besides consumables. Anything that happened thus far was pretty much user error and nothing serious that I couldn't figure out on my own. YMMV.