• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a substrate...

Doyle

Quoting a job for a customer who was VERY specific as to what he wants, and I need to find a lightweight substrate with a natural wood finish that will not warp. Size of this sign is 3' X 6' and it will be hanging from a ceiling.

1/4" plywood seems the obvious solution, but I think that it will probably bow/warp if hanging from a ceiling. The substrate I use will need to be receptive to vinyl lettering and I will also need to attach a molding/frame around the outside.

Any ideas?

Doyle

I suggested something like this and customer refused and insisted that it be a natural wood surface...

flamepainter

I agree with Mosh. Shouldn't warp too badly. If your customer insists on wood then he needs to deal with wood's inherent properties.
The frame should help keep it straight. I'd support it with at least three attachment points so it doesn't bow in the middle when hanging.

Billct2

I'd alss use the veneer plywood. A good frame should keep it from warping. I would seal it with polyurethane to make it vinyl receptive.
(It is inside right?)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Quoting a job for a customer who was VERY specific as to what he wants, and I need to find a lightweight substrate with a natural wood finish that will not warp. Size of this sign is 3' X 6' and it will be hanging from a ceiling.

1/4" plywood seems the obvious solution, but I think that it will probably bow/warp if hanging from a ceiling. The substrate I use will need to be receptive to vinyl lettering and I will also need to attach a molding/frame around the outside.

Any ideas?

I've used high pressure laminate flooring, Pergo, Wilson, etc. to good effect in this sort of application.

It's relatively cheap, thin, lightweight, comes in a bewildering variety of woods, finishes, and colors, and is relatively easy to assemble into a seamless substrate of most any size.

The individual panels are amazingly precise tongue and groove and, if memory serves, about 8"x48". You can mount it on a frame or a board or, size permitting, just glue it up all by itself.

The only downside is that you have to buy it in boxes of 10 or so pieces at a time, you can end up with a lot of scrap.

javila

Tell the crazy man that he's the only that's gonna care if it's actual wood that's gonna be seen.

Then just print and apply on an alumabond sheet.