Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a substrate...

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Doyle, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Quoting a job for a customer who was VERY specific as to what he wants, and I need to find a lightweight substrate with a natural wood finish that will not warp. Size of this sign is 3' X 6' and it will be hanging from a ceiling.

1/4" plywood seems the obvious solution, but I think that it will probably bow/warp if hanging from a ceiling. The substrate I use will need to be receptive to vinyl lettering and I will also need to attach a molding/frame around the outside.

Any ideas?

Tags:
  2. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Any chance you could use Alumacore or polymetal and then adhere some finished wood laminate to the faces?

Gary

3. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I suggested something like this and customer refused and insisted that it be a natural wood surface...

4. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
  5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    1/4 plywood venteer shouldn't warp too bad.

6. flamepainter

flamepainter New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I agree with Mosh. Shouldn't warp too badly. If your customer insists on wood then he needs to deal with wood's inherent properties.
    The frame should help keep it straight. I'd support it with at least three attachment points so it doesn't bow in the middle when hanging.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'd alss use the veneer plywood. A good frame should keep it from warping. I would seal it with polyurethane to make it vinyl receptive.
    (It is inside right?)

8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    I've used high pressure laminate flooring, Pergo, Wilson, etc. to good effect in this sort of application.

It's relatively cheap, thin, lightweight, comes in a bewildering variety of woods, finishes, and colors, and is relatively easy to assemble into a seamless substrate of most any size.

The individual panels are amazingly precise tongue and groove and, if memory serves, about 8"x48". You can mount it on a frame or a board or, size permitting, just glue it up all by itself.

The only downside is that you have to buy it in boxes of 10 or so pieces at a time, you can end up with a lot of scrap.

9. jscarl

jscarl Very Active Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Have you checked into EXTERIOR grade plywood. Like what is used underneath of soffets.?

10. javila

javila Active Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Tell the crazy man that he's the only that's gonna care if it's actual wood that's gonna be seen.

Then just print and apply on an alumabond sheet.