• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for advise / info on wrap vinyl and laminate leaving scratch marks on surface

VinylSticks

I have a customer who is interested in getting his pizzeria counters covered with printed vinyl, but he is concerned because while he was in my shop viewing samples he noticed that when he slid his fingernail on the prints, it left marks behind. That marks are not damaging, but they are noticeable. The products we tried this on include 3M 1080 matte balck wrap film, and various printed 3M vinyls, all laminated with either a 5 year matte laminate or 5 year gloss laminate.
I don't know what to tell him. I've never encountered this before, nor has anyone ever expressed concern with this.
His point is valid, however. When I run fingernail on the laminated prints, it does leave behind a mark that is only noticeable to me because I am looking for it.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, experiences and cures for this. Is there a way to remove these scratch marks? Is there a laminate you use that does not do this at all?
Thanks.

2B

vinyl is not the proper product for this application, no matter what you do it will look like garbage in 6 months.

+1

What we have done is print / stick to the contour / table top and then pour an optically resin on it.
http://www.masterbond.com/properties/optically-clear-polymer-adhesives

another option is print / stick than place a piece of plexiglass / lexan etc...
This option allows the print to changed and updated as needed.

NOTE: that no surface / coating will stop the scratching / scuffs marks

x2chris7x

Most scratches can be removed by heating with a torch... Like post heating a wrap. We do this to all our laminated signs, and makes a big difference on darker colors where scratches really show... But DO NOT heat matte lam, it will gloss over