• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Exterior Sign Suggestions

Kaitlin Boisvert

Hi everyone,
I designed a sign for a client, and they love it, now I need to spec how we're going to build and get my pricing together.

I figured we'd be using a 1"thick PVC panel with direct print background on both sides and 1/2"thick raised acrylic lettering applied to both faces. Will stud mounting work here and how long should the studs be? Or is there a better option?
And there will be a metal frame wrapped around the edges to keep the tension off the sign itself.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for the mounting bracket with lighting? It needs to hold a 4'W sign. Looking for a simple design, but heavy duty to hold the sign in the wind, elements, etc.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

2B

This is a case of the cart being put in front of the horse.

The design SHOULD have been dictated by what can be created/installed.
  • is this compliant with the sign code for the area?
  • safety/wind load compliant.
  • Where & How is the power going to be running
  • Etc.
There have been several threads already about projecting signs from the side of the building.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That will be a lotta weight for that arm, so it would most likely hafta be threaded rod going through the wall and bolt onto a flange on the inside of the building and you'll need guy wires also. Also, it should not be on chains. Far too dangerous. A solid instal would be far better. Next, all those lights are gonna be a nightmare to maintain. I'd sooner see a single spot on the wall shining outward from both sides. Last, would this sign pass codes in your area ??

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’ll admit I clicked on this thread purely to see gino’s answer!

Completely agree with 2B, you need to know if something can be done before you do the design. Before any job like this it helps to know if it can be done before putting a design together.

We had a problem like this with our designer, basically kept making a life a lot harder than it needed to be. So we brought him out on an install and showed him how things work/what’s actually feasible. Haven’t had as many tricky jobs from him since lol.

De.signs Nanaimo

Looks like there are mounting bolts from an old sign, and power maybe? Would two mounting bars/beams work, top and bottom, make your sign a circle or rectangle, with rigid supports. That printed background looks cool, but will not last very long out in the elements, maybe something more simple and textured that would last a decade or so, or could be painted or refreshed some how?

I used to do signs and a ski resort town, we tried very hard to make our signs as maintenance free as possible, even so we would have to re paint signs every 5 to 7 years. Printed direct to pvc may give you 5 years outside best case.

Kaitlin Boisvert

Thank you everyone for your feedback....
This is just the initial design concept and can definitely be revised to meet town code. As far as I know, it does meet compliance and I'm working with the town now to figure that out
We are planning on changing to a static mounting system instead of the chains.
What I really wanted to know is what are everyone's recommendations as far as attaching the dimensional lettering to the face of the sign + does anyone have a company that they can recommend for the custom mounting bracket?

fresh

Thank you everyone for your feedback....
This is just the initial design concept and can definitely be revised to meet town code. As far as I know, it does meet compliance and I'm working with the town now to figure that out
We are planning on changing to a static mounting system instead of the chains.
What I really wanted to know is what are everyone's recommendations as far as attaching the dimensional lettering to the face of the sign + does anyone have a company that they can recommend for the custom mounting bracket?

A local ironworks (or wrought iron fencing) place should be able to fabricate that for you. OR you can try https://www.signbracketstore.com/ . They can make custom brackets.

I'd probably just use tape + silicone/glue (I can't remember what I use, i'll look it up in a bit.) for the letetrs as long as they aren't too big.

unclebun

In your town there's a company called Classic Signs which, judging by the work they show on their website, probably know how to put up this kind of sign and fabricate the mounting method.

If you don't want to use a competitor, Greenfield Industries may be able to help with construction and engineering of a frame and mounting. Google steel fabricators to find more.

As far as mounting the plastic letters on the oval, glue or double sided tape alone will be unsatisfactory and unsafe. If your substrate is only 1" thick, stud mounting will be difficult. At most your studs could only go 5/8" into the sign. That's probably not good enough. You're really going to have to rethink your substrate choice. I'd consider having a frame made on which to mount aluminum faces, with the frame thickness more like 2". Then the studs for the letters can be attached to the face with nuts before the face is mounted on the frame. If you use a HP wrap vinyl to decorate the background, then when it fades it can be refurbished.

fresh

your other option is to use two sheets of 1/2" and stud mount them with nuts. Then I'd probably route the center of a 3rd 1/2" PVC sheet, leaving a 1 or 2" border and sandwich the three sheets together. Good luck.

Kaitlin Boisvert

In your town there's a company called Classic Signs which, judging by the work they show on their website, probably know how to put up this kind of sign and fabricate the mounting method.

If you don't want to use a competitor, Greenfield Industries may be able to help with construction and engineering of a frame and mounting. Google steel fabricators to find more.

As far as mounting the plastic letters on the oval, glue or double sided tape alone will be unsatisfactory and unsafe. If your substrate is only 1" thick, stud mounting will be difficult. At most your studs could only go 5/8" into the sign. That's probably not good enough. You're really going to have to rethink your substrate choice. I'd consider having a frame made on which to mount aluminum faces, with the frame thickness more like 2". Then the studs for the letters can be attached to the face with nuts before the face is mounted on the frame. If you use a HP wrap vinyl to decorate the background, then when it fades it can be refurbished.
I think we have it figured out and I appreciate your feedback! Have a great St. Patrick's Day weekend!

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

You can attach your letters to the PVC with the proper 3m vhb. If you have doubts about that you can check with the tech people at 3m they are very helpful and will verify this.The sign could remain a "swing sign" just not with chains.Eye bolt to eye bolt so it's not flopping around in the wind would be better.Your lights are fine and won't be a problem if you spec out the proper led lamps.For the mounting a simple steel flange and pole with the proper expansion anchors will work

MikePro

to the naysayers: you definitely can stud-mount a 1" panel on both sides, no problem. 1" studs, 1/4"-3/8" into the letter + 5/8"-3/4" into the panel, & assist with adhesive.

biggest concern would be the flag-mounting.... sign could weigh 20lbs in your hands, but will put 100lbs of pull-force on that brick wall. (actual math, not to scale). I'm sure you already know these things, but it never hurts to mention that something like this will never work without proper blocking & thru-bolts.

unclebun

to the naysayers: you definitely can stud-mount a 1" panel on both sides, no problem. 1" studs, 1/4"-3/8" into the letter + 5/8"-3/4" into the panel, & assist with adhesive.

biggest concern would be the flag-mounting.... sign could weigh 20lbs in your hands, but will put 100lbs of pull-force on that brick wall. (actual math, not to scale). I'm sure you already know these things, but it never hurts to mention that something like this will never work without proper blocking & thru-bolts.

Perhaps you can get the letters on the PVC sign, but what about the whipping and flex that's going to happen when you get high winds in a storm?

Z SIGNS

anchor.JPG
anchor.JPG Here is a blade sign we just did.Through the wall bolt mount is always the best way but we could not on this one.This is what a structural engineer spec'd out... with out the guy wires.

Attachments

• 50297022_10156574029800845_4084901532179365888_o.jpg
    50297022_10156574029800845_4084901532179365888_o.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Agree
Reactions: a77

MikePro

whipping & flex? Idk how much force you're expecting from rough weather, but even a tornado won't flex that 1" PVC panel much, if at all. It would snap the rod the panel will be hanging from, or rip the flag-mounted sign off the wall long before you have to worry about a letter falling-off.