• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Looking for information on.............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
....... installing a flex-face on a 14' x 48' billboard.

It's a uni-pole and has two faces, both 14' x 48' I've done and helped with much smaller ones like 12' x 20' and a little bigger, but not this size. Hoping someone here has some experience we can discuss back & forth.

As you can see, there is no billboard company name on the structure. It is privately owned by the company advertising on it. It needs new straps as those are all totally rusted out and needs a cable and some eye-hooks across the top, as there isn't one there at the moment. I got the cost of new the faces and just wondering about the install portion of it. It's about 20' to the bottom of the sign. I'm gonna ask if they want to change over to LED fixtures, too.
s101 bill.jpg

Kottwitz-Graphics

....... installing a flex-face on a 14' x 48' billboard.

It's a uni-pole and has two faces, both 14' x 48' I've done and helped with much smaller ones like 12' x 20' and a little bigger, but not this size. Hoping someone here has some experience we can discuss back & forth.

As you can see, there is no billboard company name on the structure. It is privately owned by the company advertising on it. It needs new straps as those are all totally rusted out and needs a cable and some eye-hooks across the top, as there isn't one there at the moment. I got the cost of new the faces and just wondering about the install portion of it. It's about 20' to the bottom of the sign. I'm gonna ask if they want to change over to LED fixtures, too. View attachment 139965

Does it have pockets, with poles helping to keep it tight now? When I was at Headrick in Mississippi, they still used individual panels, and painted, but that was 20 years ago, but in the last couple of years, on the ones I have replaced, it had pole pockets on all 4 sides. If there isn't now, that would be the route I'd go. You can always grab some conduit at the hardware store, and use that. The only thing to be careful is at the joints, it doesn't bunch, and pucker. It would be nice to have minimum 4 guys, if not more.

And you gotta expect the ratchets straps to be rusted shut. A lot of billboard companies use the cheapest that they can get their hands on. I've used cheap ratchet straps from *cough *cough harbor freight *cough *cough...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Does it have pockets, with poles helping to keep it tight now? When I was at Headrick in Mississippi, they still used individual panels, and painted, but that was 20 years ago, but in the last couple of years, on the ones I have replaced, it had pole pockets on all 4 sides. If there isn't now, that would be the route I'd go. You can always grab some conduit at the hardware store, and use that. The only thing to be careful is at the joints, it doesn't bunch, and pucker. It would be nice to have minimum 4 guys, if not more.

And you gotta expect the ratchets straps to be rusted shut. A lot of billboard companies use the cheapest that they can get their hands on. I've used cheap ratchet straps from *cough *cough harbor freight *cough *cough...

Wd40?

Kottwitz-Graphics

pole pockets and pipes are installed. instead of attaching the straps to the structure, I attach top to bottom, and sides to the support structure, but not to the walkway. I don't want anyone to have to navigate and possibly trip, which could be a tragic accident.

If you have any questions, just give me a call, and we can go over it...

2B

nah, just easier to cut them and replace...

aggree, easier to cut and replace.

while we have only assisted on billboards, the pole pocket with pipe inserts is how they have all been done
Most of the time, orange straps are used
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-l...zIjoiNi45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi OiIxMTg4MSJ9

if need more strenght.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-...atcheting-tie-down-straps-set-of-4-61303.html

the corners are always the focus points, where they try to get the pull angle close to 180*