• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for suggestions- "what to call my new work area?"

Mascitti Bro

After several years of sharing workspace at my home in the garage and other areas , we're putting finishing touches on a new home that'll have a dedicated area for all the printer/cutter/laminator/ work table things. Crazy enough, i'm struggling with what exactly to call this new work area?? (WORKSHOP-too basic. DESIGN STUDIO- too formal. "See what I mean?) Would love to hear what you folks call your work areas, particularly if they are also a dedicated work area at your home??!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's still your home. You just happen to be working outta your home. Call it your man cave or the west wing, just make sure you're insured properly for all the solvents and chemicals you'll have in your house. Will the place be properly ventilated ?? Are there any young ones running around the place which can breath your solvent vapors ?? It's not good for young tissue or animals, ya know. Do you have a laminator on board, too ??

I don't get it..... if you had a shop, it's against the law to live in it, but if you have a house, you can open a sign shop in it.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I hope you are using a latex printer. If you are using a solvent printer I would be very concerned about solvent and gas vapors. A properly designed commercial system will include both souce capture and ambiant air filtration with external ventilation.

Where I live, manufacturing of this type is not permitted in residential districts. External ventilation would not be permitted. Commercial deliveries and use of public parking would be a violation of the code. The building standards (parking requirements, entrance and egress, sprinkler systems, ADA compliance, etc.) required in business and manufacturing areas would not be practical in residential districts, and in any case would require compliance and inspection by the municipality (in which case the usage would certainly come into question). I would certainly check with your local zoning authority before investing any money, and before any neighbors concerned about parking and delivery or evidence of ventilation file a complaint. I am aware of several small home-based sign businesses in my community that were forced to stop operations because of these and other zoning violations.

Hopefully, you have crossed all these bridges and are able to operate safely and legally. Working from home can be a great convenience. Good luck with your venture!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After several years of sharing workspace at my home in the garage and other areas , we're putting finishing touches on a new home that'll have a dedicated area for all the printer/cutter/laminator/ work table things. Crazy enough, i'm struggling with what exactly to call this new work area?? (WORKSHOP-too basic. DESIGN STUDIO- too formal. "See what I mean?) Would love to hear what you folks call your work areas, particularly if they are also a dedicated work area at your home??!!

I absolutely love the question, and I would say that you need to AIM HIGHER, much higher. Consider something distinct, something that prompts deeper inquiry when you're in social settings...something that gets you out of bed in the morning...something that breathes life and energy.

Take a look at two people who have literally entwined their work and their life betwixt the four walls of their domicile: Frank Lloyd Wright, and our contemporary Dan Sawatzsky.

https://www.taliesinpreservation.org/

http://www.imaginationcorporation.com/

JB

Last edited:

James Burke

jimagination logo png.png

Totally separate from my business name, I call my workspace "jimagination", complete with its own logotype.

JB

rjssigns

I hope you are using a latex printer. If you are using a solvent printer I would be very concerned about solvent and gas vapors. A properly designed commercial system will include both souce capture and ambiant air filtration with external ventilation.

Where I live, manufacturing of this type is not permitted in residential districts. External ventilation would not be permitted. Commercial deliveries and use of public parking would be a violation of the code. The building standards (parking requirements, entrance and egress, sprinkler systems, ADA compliance, etc.) required in business and manufacturing areas would not be practical in residential districts, and in any case would require compliance and inspection by the municipality (in which case the usage would certainly come into question). I would certainly check with your local zoning authority before investing any money, and before any neighbors concerned about parking and delivery or evidence of ventilation file a complaint. I am aware of several small home-based sign businesses in my community that were forced to stop operations because of these and other zoning violations.

Hopefully, you have crossed all these bridges and are able to operate safely and legally. Working from home can be a great convenience. Good luck with your venture!

Good points. I work from home, but send product out or go on site for installs. It is rare to see a client. Email and text is how I exist.

Mascitti Bro

It's still your home. You just happen to be working outta your home. Call it your man cave or the west wing, just make sure you're insured properly for all the solvents and chemicals you'll have in your house. Will the place be properly ventilated ?? Are there any young ones running around the place which can breath your solvent vapors ?? It's not good for young tissue or animals, ya know. Do you have a laminator on board, too ??

I don't get it..... if you had a shop, it's against the law to live in it, but if you have a house, you can open a sign shop in it.

Maybe we could stay on topic today, and i'll save the Moral and Ethics questions for later in the week??!! (geez, just asking for some cute suggestions, folks!!...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe we could stay on topic today, and i'll save the Moral and Ethics questions for later in the week??!! (geez, just asking for some cute suggestions, folks!!...

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong ?? What was untrue or dissatisfying about what I wrote ??

You want cutsie and come to a professional sign forum and get upset when we mention the REAL things you should be concerned about when using these machines and chemicals in your house......... Give two sh!ts about the other people living in the house, just so you can name your room..... Mascitti Plantation of Vermont.

Yeah, you have your act together mr emotional, intimate metro man...... or is that too harsh. :u rock:
[URL='https://signs101.com/members/mascitti-bro.75428/'][/URL]

Mascitti Bro

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong ?? What was untrue or dissatisfying about what I wrote ??

You want cutsie and come to a professional sign forum and get upset when we mention the REAL things you should be concerned about when using these machines and chemicals in your house......... Give two sh!ts about the other people living in the house, just so you can name your room..... Mascitti Plantation of Vermont.

Yeah, you have your act together mr emotional, intimate metro man...... or is that too harsh. :u rock:
https://signs101.com/members/mascitti-bro.75428/

….Perfect, thanks for your input....

backwoodsgirl

Funny, last week I finally moved into my donkey-barn-converted-sign-shop. And I've been struggling to name it. Pretty sure I'm just going to make a humble little sign that says "sign shop" and move on :D

James Burke

Funny, last week I finally moved into my donkey-barn-converted-sign-shop. And I've been struggling to name it...

Ok...this is just way too good to pass up....

How about "Sans A$$ Sign Shop"...or SASS, for short.

And for the tagline: "The asses are gone, and now we make signs...no heein' or hawin', you'll love our designs".

Sounds backwoodsy to me...(which, by the way, is not derogatory in the least bit since we're a bit backwoodsy here as well...Hillsdale, MI).

I'd like to see Johnny Best run with this one....eh, Johnny?

JB

Last edited: