• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Tempera recommendations for brush-lettering

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
Greetings all,
Amidst my multi-use bag of plotters, printers, laminators and engravers, there still exists a hand-painter. Guess that is something that just never goes away, profitability notwithstanding. It's in my blood.

Back in the day there was really only one choice for tempera for showcard work ; Rich Art. Today it is difficult to tell what a high grade tempera that is finely ground is. Many have labels that look like they are from romper room. (safe for kids, etc.) Even Prang back in the 40's showed it was non-toxic right on the label, so that is of little concern. I am getting my chops back in hand-lettering and would like some /any suggestions for a finely ground tempera.

The online hand-lettering video [
] using Mike Stevens' script recommends using cell vinyl paint, but even that has been discontinued in the wake of the digital generation. Any suggestions most appreciated!

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
wow....talk about Throw Back Thursday. I didn't like tempera, though the sign guy that started me in the business did tons of paper signs with it.
I preferred Japan Colors. But if I were to try tempera again I start with this https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-premium-grade-tempera/

The guy I started with at 17 used and swore by Rich Art...hefty price tag too. Hey thanks so much for the info; A lot of good feedback from teachers and artists on this higher grade tempera from Blick!