• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy a new printer!

jcinco101

Hey Fellas,
I'll cut right to the chase. I currently have a Graphtec CE-5000-60 it's the 24" model. It's been great to me and I've made good money with it thus far. I'm a college student who runs a sign shop in a small town, other wise there'd be a 45 minute drive to get signs. I'm looking to expand into the digital printing market, But i don't have the money to pay cash for a new Mutoh or Roland printer. Right now I'm having to buy my printer materials from another shop or online and mark it up. Can anyone direct me to a color printer 30'-48" that you would recommend? I'm totally okay with a smaller printer and having to overlay the vinyl. My budget would be no more than, $4,000.

I mostly do Decals, magnets, Banners, yard, real estate, car graphics, good ole vinyl lettering, aluminum and "half wraps"

player

I would get an older sp300. But you will also need a laminator. Plus some inventory. Keep your eyes pealed for someone going out of business dso you can get everything...

Stanton

Hey Fellas,
I'll cut right to the chase. . . . I mostly do Decals, magnets, Banners, yard, real estate, car graphics, good ole vinyl lettering, aluminum and "half wraps"

Dude, ... focus on design and make some money.

MAKE MONEY.

Learn design so you don't junk up our trade.

Otherwise, you seem to want to excel at this.

PM me. You are the kind of person I want to mentor.

-Glenn

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Unfortunately $4000 isn't enough for a decent used machine these days. You can find some for around that much but usually they are in need of print heads or other expensive parts that will put you over $4000 fast. I agree with Stanton. Keep making money the way you are right now. Save up to $6000 to $8000 and get a decent ValueJet or Sp series Roland to start off with. In my experience you will loose money trying to get a beater machine to work, rather than just saving up and getting a reliable machine.

jcinco101

Sub out?

I do sub out a lot of the print jobs, It sucks because the people I use are in Cali and I'm in Texas so the delay is bothering my customers. Unless you know another place I can use to get all my printed goods?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The HP is not a good fit for what you want to do.
It uses a water based ink set. Pigment or Dye.
It can be used but you would be at a disadvantage to any solvent based print house.
Only coated materials could be printed and everything would have to be laminated to hold up for even a short term outside.
Would work fine for indoor displays & posters.

wayne k
guam usa

Digital D-Signs

I would be happy to help.

Our business revolves around fleet graphics but we also print some sign vinyl for the local market. If you send print ready files we can extend wholesale pricing on any material we keep in stock. We're also in Texas which means next day ground shipping with UPS. You can contact us and upload art at digitaldsigns.com

JgS

You are better off subbing the work out until you have a little more knowledge and money.

But if you really want a printer I have a Roland SJ-540 for sale that is in your budget. PM me and I'll send you the details. We may be able to work out delivery too.