• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy a pylon sign build step by step tutorial...

kazziu

Hello,
I would like to buy a step by step tutorial of building a pylon sign, mainly one with no visible rivets or screws. Something like this:
CAMARA MUNICIPAL PORTIMAO-PORTIMAO ARENA
I have a new CNC and a welding station and i would like to learn something new but not by my own mistakes. I think its very easy to make a pylon sign with visible screws, but i have no idea how to bend and install dibond so that the sides of a pylon are clean. I mean i would figure it out in a month or two but you know...
Thanks in advance...

2B

do not have detailed plans,

but signs like this will rely solely on adhesive for construction.
regarding the panels / substrate ( we like dibond) they are typically done with a V groove and then bent to shape.

kazziu

Thats a good idea but how to deal with a situation when we have a LED or power supply failure, we would have to cut the sign in half to get inside.....
ps. dibond bending is nice but i'm curious how do you install the already bent dibond boxes to the frame so that it looks so smooth, with a option of easy deinstalation...

Devon19515

I would utilize a french cleat style hook system down the sides of the pylon face with retaining screws on the top.
So you would remove the top screws, shift the face panel up about an inch then pull straight off.

Billct2

If you have to access then something like Devon recommended with screws underneath and/or on top. And zooming in on that photo I see a screw in the reveal between the two panels and a black area that could be part of a fastening system.

MikePro

all illuminated monument/pylon/channelletter signage have access panels built-into them. usually up to your fabricator where they want to put it, but it is usually as least-noticeable as possible. that way, when a power supply/LEDstring needs replacement/service, your tech can unscrew a panel and gain access to the inside of the sign without completely removing/disassembling.

2B

Yes, if the sign is illuminated you have to have an access panel.
typically the panel is around the connection for easy wiring access

looking closer at your image, this appears to be a non illuminated sign frame

henryz

The example you are showing looks like brushed stainless steel, but the concept is the same practice with some samples maybe 2' x 2' signs with pole covers but I don't think the video will explain you need to have an idea of what you want to build and drawings that show you how it comes together.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If I look at the sign you posted as an example, that's not Dibond, that's stainless steel.
The company who built it works in stainless steel regularly. I'm not a big fan of Dibond by
the way, mostly because on larger pylons, I can't stand seams unless it's part of the design.

It's also an internally illuminated sign (see the waterjet-cut push thru copy) so it must be
serviceable so taping/gluing the sign faces permanently would not work.

I would also want to see the top view and other side of the sign to see if the attachments
are hidden elsewhere.

If it were me I would make my main face panel with some type of mechanical attachment
from the inside of the cabinet (with the back face removed) then the back face can be held
in place via studs at the bottom, magnetic or clips on the main area, it's probably not going
to be messed with but if that was a concern, screw into the top.

MikePro

above being said, there are bare-bones sign packages with instructions from suppliers like SignComp and you build your own access panels to suit your needs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If this sign came across my desk, this is how I would draw it, I had a fabricator take a quick peek and he thinks it's not too far off.

Attachments

• HIDDEN ATACHMENT.pdf
    134 KB · Views: 437

kazziu

After some more research, to make the same pylon i posted i need a sheet metal bending machine and much more knowledge about mounting/attaching techniques. This Vast electrical sign making of is very nice and i have seen it long time ago, besides the thermoforming everything is quite straightforward. I guess i will make my first pylon/monument sign with folded dibond, screws and a thin aluminium bar to mask the side screws.
Many thanks for the pdf. i need to study it thoroughly.
PS. whats a UL licnese? google spit out something about safety measures....

MikePro

regarding that "Vast electrical" video posted above, does anyone know what Polycarbonate thermo-vacuum forming machine that is?
I've only seen them as big as a truck, but I'd love to have something in that scale for some custom projects!