Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost a font

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by SlightlyChilled, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Ok so I moved to a new PC and loaded all my fonts. Now I have a missing font and can't find it. The font is not in the font folder but work just fine on the old laptop but not on the new .It tells me it's not there I get Bullet*.... Where esle might it be hiding?

Tags:
  2. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    If it was loading at startup, it needs to be in the font folder. unless you were using font management software than allows you to pull it from another location.

Try a file search for the font in question on the old system.

3. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Did that and no dice :(

4. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    What font are you missing? Are you looking for the name of the font, or the font filename?

5. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Bullet-SmallCaps thats the font name I don't know if the file name is differant from the font

6. sinetist

sinetist Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Gabriola BC, Canada
    Try looking in the font folder on the old system for the font. If you find it you could copy it to a flash drive and load it from there ontoyour new set-up.

7. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    tried that

8. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
  9. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    the downloads are for crap software not the font but thanks for tring. I know it is somewhere just not in the right font spot :(

10. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Are you using Corel by chance?
    If so, open the file on your old system and resave with the font embedded
    It will give you a warning....but just say ok

Corel will save the font file along with the graphic file
    Open the newly saved file on your new system and you should be good to go.

Diane

11. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    No Adobe

12. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Do a search for *.ttf , sort the results by location, look for anything that comes up that is not in the font folder.

13. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    ..and when you find it, consider getting a font management program that automatically archives fonts for easy backup or migration.

JB

14. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm still confused
    Do you actually need the font because you're making changes to an existing design?
    Or do you just need the font because Adobe is defaulting and substituting a font because the font is missing?

Two different issues.

If you only need to open that previously created file on your new system, go back to your old computer, open the file and convert the font to curves.
    Save the converted file with a different name so you don't lose that original file ......just in case you find the font one of these days.

Now open that new file that you converted to curves and Adobe won't default and substitute the font on you

You can also place the file in (instead of opening it) Illy.
    Flatten and you should have the file/font intact

But, if you actually need that font because you need it to make changes to your original design, then you're probably gonna' have to find it on that old computer.
    It's there someplace.
    Put on your Columbo jacket and start looking......

If nothing else, you could always post a visual, chances are one of our font gurus will be able to identify it for you and maybe you can then grab a whole new font file, download and install it somewhere where it won't get "lost"

Thumbs up for the Font Management suggestion
    I couldn't work without one

Diane

15. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    :goodpost:

If you actually previewed every font in your font folder on the old computer, I'm sure you'll find the font with a completely unrelated name. I have this problem often and the font name usually ends up just being a series of numbers or something.

16. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Gary, your absolutely right.
    We have plenty of fonts that only use alphanumerical 'names'........yet another reason a FM program can help.

Diane

17. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    I opened it on the old pc made it a outline then saved it. I would just like the font. not a real big thing just asking a question if someone might know other places to look. thanks for all the help

18. sinetist

sinetist Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Gabriola BC, Canada
    If you can use the font on your old PC then the font must still be there. When you have the file using the font on your old PC open you should be able to select it and Illustrator will show the font name then you can do a search to find and transfer it to the new computer.