• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Low Maintenance Sticker Printer

masiphx

Hello again good people of S101.

I've recently been getting orders for stickers. I already have vendors lined up and they do a great job, but I've been looking for a low maintenance machine that I can do short runs on.

I've read about the Roland BN-20, but it seems like it requires the same maintenance as any other eco-solvent printer, takes smaller (more costly by the unit) ink cartridges, and its print/cut capability is slow.

I've consider a printer to match my Mimaki, or a whole new printer cutter combo, or print/cut systems, but they all seem to have the same maintenance and upkeep.

So my question: What about the Summa system? They tout a low/no maintenance. I read all the time about their excellent tracking (which doesn't necessarily affect me, I do small stuff mostly). But then I also read some complaints about lack of customer service, and a "joining" issue, something about how the cassette roll width becomes a problem when doing anything larger than one rolls width.

Gerber? thermal, so maybe low maintenance. But then I hear you gotta do colors one by one or something? Sounds like we're back to the age of windmills and buggies. But I don't know jack so maybe that's just the best way?

Anyhow, I'm open to listen to all options. I just want a decent machine to print out short run stickers, maybe a few large (for stickers.. so maybe 12x12ish)

Thoughts?

Thank you

CanuckSigns

The Gerber edge system is awesome if you are doing spot colour decals, anything with full colour will look pretty bad by today's standards, having said that is it pretty much completely maintenance free! we still bust ours out a few times a month to run small decal jobs if our roland is tied up.

masiphx

So to add to it, while maintenance is a key factor, I'd like to be able to do good/great quality full color. This is where I think the Summa has it over the Gerber, and I appreciate you confirming that. Also, the Gerber Edge is what, 14k? For so so full color? That's hard to swallow

But, now... how low maintenance is the Summa. I'd like to print stickers today, not look at it for a week, turn it on, and print away. This is where any ink based solution strikes me as troublesome

Any thoughts? I do plan to print regularly, but I don't plan to print daily. And I don't want to live a life of daily maintenance, I can barely handle a pet (I would literally try to teach my dog how to fend for itself, lol). But if the Roland or Mutoh or Mimaki, or even an Epson makes sense, I can swing it. I'll just wait til I have a lot more clients to keep the machine running

Thanks guys

DunbarPG

Roland's typically aren't that maintenance intensive. Maybe manual cleaning once or twice a month, which takes all of about 10 minutes. Also, the print/cut works well on small to intermediate runs and eliminates the need for a stand alone cutter. I wouldn't go any larger than the 30 in. machine for what you are wanting to do with it.

printhog

The summa printers are thermal transfer just like the edge, while I will tout the quality of the plotters they make, the printer falls short of any competitive reality.

Inkjet is the way to go, even in the face of Gerber edge fans. Cost per sq ft is 1/4 that of thermal transfer when properly configured. Gerber makes great plotters and routers, but they lost the market years ago on digital print and have failed every attempt to get into it. Summa has never been a contender for any digital operation given its limited size, 1 meter, and limited inventory. It's a walled garden of material selections.

I'd recommend a 54" latex HP bare bones so you don't need the additional rip and knowledge. They're gearing that machine to hobbyists and small operators. Simple, accurate, and paired with a 54" plotter, you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Marlene

go with a Gerber Edge as you never see any of us who use them whining about clogged heads or other issues. it doesn't do that great of a job on full color at a small size as the dot patterns really show. you do have to change the foils for different colors but no big deal