• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lucky Little Doggie...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

On Monday when I got home from work I noticed a small tan dog curled up under a bush in the corners of a fence around my yard. She didn't move when I approached her, but began to whine and shiver terribly. I could she she was incredibly frightened, and she had no collar. I could also see she had apparently recently given birth to puppies. Her ribs were very visible - like she had been starved.

I went into the house and got a handfull of dog treats and went back out to her. She reluctantly let me get close enough to give her the first treat, but man did she come around after that first bite of food. I was her hero and new friend. She followed me to the front door where I went in and got her a bowl of food and water, both of which she inhaled. She became the sweetest most adorable little tan chihuahua after that. Now the problem became what to do with her. My wife called animal control, but they were already closed and she just left a message.

The poor thing camped on our front porch all night and greeted us the next morning like we were her new owners. I desperately wanted to keep her and get her to a vet, but we already have a small house dog who is incredibly jealous. The next day at work I began to research chihuahua rescue groups but couldn't contact any. I got quite an education though on rescue groups and the incredible lengths they go to to help abandoned animals. There are soem mighty fine people in this world.

When I got home that day I had no choice but to take her to the locaal animal shelter where I was informed she was still pregnant. By now I figured she had no chance at living left. I had to wait a half hour in what is a vets office for the animal control officer to come and sign the dog into the shelter. During that time, a lady there with her two dogs listened to me and my daughter describe to the staff how loving and adorable this little dog was. She said if the vet would check her out and pronounce her healthy she would give her a home. Also, before I left there, my wife called to tell me of a co-worker's niece who was involved with dog rescue who offered to adopt her if she was healthy. Things were definitely looking up for this sweet little dog thanks to my vigorous marketing of her adorableness and hopeless plight. I will find out later today which of the two took her, or if she didn't pass the physical. Here's hoping she gets a new lease on life for herself and her soon to be new family.

Bill43mx

Arlo,
Great story to start the day! Thanks for being the kind of guy who would take an animal you don't own and have no intention of keeping to the vet. My wife is also one of those people. She once actually stopped in the pouring rain and picked up a baby racoon that was lying in the road. It had been clipped by a car but was alive and suffering. She put it on the floor of her car and took it to the vet, who gave her a stern lecture about the risk she had just taken before euthanizing it. She then called me and I gave her another "you're crazy and don't ever do that again!" lecture but you know what? That's what I love about her...the fact that she doesn't think about herself first and tries to do what's "right".

My hat is off to you and I'm glad it had a happy ending.

TheSellOut

Arlo you are a good man!

My wife works at the Cornell Hospital for Animals here in Ithaca, NY. On her way to work one morning she hit a bird, stopped and picked the poor thing up, and took it to work with her! They had to put the birds wing in a cast for a couple of weeks and released him back into the wild with a clean bill of health!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo you are a good man!

My wife works at the Cornell Hospital for Animals here in Ithaca, NY. On her way to work one morning she hit a bird, stopped and picked the poor thing up, and took it to work with her! They had to put the birds wing in a cast for a couple of weeks and released him back into the wild with a clean bill of health!

Thanks, but I believe anyone with a heart would have put forth the same effort I did. A helpless, half starved pregnant little dog can't be ignored. Now your wife - there's a hero.

Marlene

I love a story with a happy ending! thanks for being a kind person and stepping in to do all you could for a critter in need. I wish there were more people like you in this world.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Well done, Arlo. It takes so little to make a huge difference - you are a hero!

Thanks, but I didn't post this story to make me look good. I was just very happy for how the turn of events took place for this dog. If anyone in my family championed her plight, it was my teenage daughter who sat out on the front porch keeping the little dog company throughout the day. But thanks again.

Marlene

Thanks, but I didn't post this story to make me look good

I know you weren't looking for adoration for your kindness but when I read the story, I was glad you were there and were the kind of person who would help. you are a good person...so deal with that:tongue:

Arstron

I have to say, I had a simlar situation happen about 2 months ago, only it was a male golden retriver that came walking up to me. He was very starved and his rear area was black with no fur. We already have a dalmation and 2 chihuahuas so I decided to take care of him until we could find him a good home. He got a good bill of health from the vet the next day, with is main problems being fleas and ear mites. Two months latter, he is the sweetest inside dog we own, and eats more then the other 3 combined. He has gone from weighting 45lbs the first vet visit to atleast 80 lbs. :D

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I just talked to the animal shelter. They told me they have to keep her for three days to give it's owner (yeah right) a chance to come and pick it up. Otherwise, they told me two people have spoken for her as soon as she's available - which will be Saturday. Looks like she's found a home. YAY!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just talked to the animal shelter. They told me they have to keep her for three days to give it's owner (yeah right) a chance to come and pick it up. Otherwise, they told me two people have spoken for her as soon as she's available - which will be Saturday. Looks like she's found a home. YAY!

Now it's truly a happy ending. She's evidently healthy and has a future.

Good goin' you ol' dog you. :loveya:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

That's a much nicer story than the one where you buried the baby squirrels alive. Good for you.

Wow, what a memory! You have no idea how much mileage the baby squirrel story gets around the shop to this day. I am often quoted as saying "they're just rodents". As in a PITA customer, someone will say "Arlo says they're just rodents". I'll never live that down.