• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help #m vinyl peeling off natural gas truck

bayviewsignworks

Have a customer with aluminum tank trucks. We've used regular #M vinyl and has peeled in the past. We also digital print 3M an it too peeled off within a year. Anyone have any ideas on what else we could use that will not peel? We have this Arlon sticky vinyl but it tends to shrink and then you see the adhesive - but we may go that route next.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What laminate for the digital prints? Difference between calendered & cast overlaminate.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm pretty sure its stainless not aluminum for natural gas tankers. 3M has a newer product designed for Stainless called 180SLS. Avery also has a product called 1106 that we have had success with on stainless also

Chasez

My guess would be wrong vinyl, or poor cleaning prior to installation. I've done 3M vinyl on numerous vehicles and it's still on 12 years later (has some cracks and minor shrinkage) but still in good shape.

Chaz

bayviewsignworks

Yes, probably stainless. I will look into those products. We use Oraguard 290 (cal) lam. We clean everything with water then alcohol. If there was adhesive we'd use 3M Adhesive remover, then water then alcohol. Is there something else we should use?

Chasez

if they trucks were waxed at some point the alcohol won't take it off (at least in my experience) and had to use a degreaser then clean normally with alcohol. I would check into that and see if they had been waxed at some point... seems silly for a tanker but you never know... had that happen once...

Chaz

BobM

I use Rapid Remove to clean old glue, Rapid Prep to clean the surface. Cheap paper towels, spray on, wipe clean. If the paper towel doesn't "drag", spray again and wipe again. I only use premium cast vinyl.

AKwrapguy

Have a customer with aluminum tank trucks. We've used regular #M vinyl and has peeled in the past. We also digital print 3M an it too peeled off within a year. Anyone have any ideas on what else we could use that will not peel? We have this Arlon sticky vinyl but it tends to shrink and then you see the adhesive - but we may go that route next.

Depending on the 3M product as there are many there could be several reasons. A lot of time the polish used on stainless steel will mess with the material unless it's prepped correctly which is most likely the issue if the decals are just coming off. Something else to think about is the movement of the metal as the temperature changes, this will also lead to failure if not prepped right and wrong material is used.

If the the tank is not polished and has a patina this will also cause failure.

If could also be how they are cleaning the tank. If they are using a power washer and hit an edge this will also cause a failure.

ams

Yes, probably stainless. I will look into those products. We use Oraguard 290 (cal) lam. We clean everything with water then alcohol. If there was adhesive we'd use 3M Adhesive remover, then water then alcohol. Is there something else we should use?

Use Rapid Prep or Foaming Glass Cleaner (no windex or ammonia products). Also if it has wax, remove that with a wax remover first.

bayviewsignworks

So, Not Stainless Steel. Painted but the truck is a Natural Gas truck and the cold, well below 60 degrees and there's no way to warm it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

So, Not Stainless Steel. Painted but the truck is a Natural Gas truck and the cold, well below 60 degrees and there's no way to warm it.

Did you install it in cold weather (sub 50ish)? I think most manufacturer's recommend at least 50 degrees to install. There is a definite risk of adhesive failure if you install in cold weather. I've had it happen.

JR's

You could try heating it up with the blowtorch.
No don't do that just kidding. Who in their right mind would try that

bayviewsignworks

Did you install it in cold weather (sub 50ish)? I think most manufacturer's recommend at least 50 degrees to install. There is a definite risk of adhesive failure if you install in cold weather. I've had it happen.

We applied during warm weather - 60+. We prepped as we normally do, which works for 99% of our vehicles and we do anything from wraps to small vinyl jobs with no lifting at all after many years after the install.

The tank, filled with Propane, is cold, which makes the surface of the tank cold also. You really can't warm it up, it would be like trying to warm the entire tank full of propane.

Karen Souza

If the surface is paint, and was prepped correctly, one other thing could be "ice damming". Laminated prints are more prone
to be problematic. Propane bobtail trucks and tanks are more round in shape than most tanks which leads to ice/snow "hanging" on the upper edges of the graphic/lettering. With melting and freezing on the upper edge ice can eventually work its way under the edge and when the truck goes down the road the ice chunk can rip off leaving room for more damage. If you are in a cold/snowy/icy winter climate it could be part of the problem. Tanks/trucks with flatter sides are not such an issue.

gnubler

Giving this a bump since much of this information applies to a job I'm bidding on. Big propane tanks, 3 of them, lettering on both sides. Single color, so will use a premium cast cut vinyl. These tanks are brand new and have been primed, will be painted sometime in August, and ready to be lettered in early September. Daytime temps here still in the 60s then, but chilly at night plus the propane in the tanks chilling the surface. Has anyone else done tanks like this, and did you run into any unexpected challenges?

20220715_100239.jpg

signheremd

Giving this a bump since much of this information applies to a job I'm bidding on. Big propane tanks, 3 of them, lettering on both sides. Single color, so will use a premium cast cut vinyl. These tanks are brand new and have been primed, will be painted sometime in August, and ready to be lettered in early September. Daytime temps here still in the 60s then, but chilly at night plus the propane in the tanks chilling the surface. Has anyone else done tanks like this, and did you run into any unexpected challenges?

View attachment 160558
Know this too well. Have found that Oracal 3751RA and 3951RA (both without ProSlide) work well - better than regular Avery Cast vinyl. Arlon will work if it is warm enough when applied, otherwise it will trap moisture and create water bubbles. Rollering edges is a big help. If the tank is wet or frosty, it is going to be a problem. Magnets help with positioning. Hope this helps

gnubler

It does. Good idea on the magnets. The vinyls you listed are print media, this job is all a single color red. I'd rather go with cut vinyl than printing it.