• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mabey buying a sp300v, Need some info

Maxon70

Hello all,,

As the title says, Im looking at a Roland sp300v tomorrow and I was wondering what I should be checking and what should I have the seller show me. I want to make sure this is worth it and not get ripped off.

Sorry for the newb questions, Im not familiar with this printer, I've always been a cut guy and am looking to expand my business and add a printer..

Thanks in advance..

Maxon

printhog

Make the seller demo that it does everything you're expecting. Take a magnifying glass and look at the head test print. Look for any missing or deflected lines. Those indicate plugged ports or dirt.

Make sure you're getting any miscellaneous tools, parts and manuals it shipped with. Also get any software that goes to it. RIP or drivers. If you don't have that you'll need to buy it. Roland isn't very accommodating to after market software sales.

Make sure all functions are good. Test every function.

Now for moving. Print quality may go out of alignment during road trip. Transport it upright. Empty any drain bottles and secure the print head assembly with the temporary hardware it likely shipped with. Do not wedge anything to hold the head. If you don't have the hardware, carefully tape the head. Do not put pressure on the head.

Strap the printers body and frame securely so it doesn't tip. Cover it so wind pressures and weather don't affect the inks. Expect a bit of ink to splooge out on the way. It may make a bit of a mess. I'd not remove the inks for transport as you'll likely get bubbles into the ink train. But if you see ink running out midtrip, pull them.

You'll need the service manual to teach you how to realign the various settings once you get it home.

Read the manuals. Follow the site setup instructions.

Don't start disassembling things unless you know exactly what you are doing. Most issues are usually correctable by software, not screwdriver.

Good luck. Enjoy your new toy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

JasonMeisnerSTS

Those tips don't really get any better than that. If the printer checks out and your ready to get printing, I would love to supply you with the inks for that printer and if you need any parts like dampers or a new head, let me know as well.

Maxon70

Thanks for all the info guys,

Im kinda Leary with this printer, aren't these 10-11 years old and is there a way to tell the year it was made?

GU signs

I have one for sale in Massachusetts if you want to take a road trip. Mine is around 11 years old but has been kept up by certified Roland technicians and is in excellent shape. They are truly a solid workhorse printer!

JasonMeisnerSTS

These printers last very long if maintained well. The OEM tells you to expect to get 6 billion shots out of the print head however, I have seem them go much, much longer.

Maxon70

Well I couldn't go see it because he had to replace a bearing to get it to print its working again and here is the results of the print head test...

What do you all think?

Attachments

• 2017012595205602.jpg
    2017012595205602.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 327

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like the black channel is toast. You might be able to recover it but most likely you'll need to get a new DX4 head.
Not sure what the going rate is but you will want to get an OEM head and I think they run around $700+ USD.

wayne k
guam usa

Maxon70

Looks like the black channel is toast. You might be able to recover it but most likely you'll need to get a new DX4 head.
Not sure what the going rate is but you will want to get an OEM head and I think they run around $700+ USD.

wayne k
guam usa

How would you recover it?

Speedsterbeast

I have an SP-300V for sale in Northern Ontario. Brand new black head and the other fires like a dream. Test print is very important no matter which one you buy. The age of the machine isn't a major big deal. This generation of printer is a tank. -Mine is also selling for Canadian Dollars =35% less than U.S. pricing.

Joe House

If this is your first printer forget it.
I agree. If this is your first printer, there's a lot to be said for knowing that it is in perfect condition or having the support of someone who can tell you for sure that it is. If something goes wrong, you'll not know if its user error or a problem with the printer itself. These aren't like your desktop printer that you buy at Office Depot.

Maxon70

So what would your recommendations be for a first printer? I can only afford a used printer all of them Ive seen either have head issues or something wrong.. or are to big for my needs..

Ive seen a few that are cleaned and in storage with fluid in them, but then your not 100% sure what your getting,

The guy wants 3300 for this one and it has alot of new parts here is his description --> "has new ribbon cable, new scan motor, and new caps replaced and serviced by Wensco. Comes with new 220ml ink cartridges installed, Versaworks software, original (still working) scan motor, owners manual, all new bearing blocks for both carriages recently installed" sounds like it was a money pit for him, but its all replaced now..:) except for the black head of course..

Signchief

Why would he go through the the trouble of replacing all of those parts and then throw in the towel over a print head? That's a red flag in my book, if all it needed to be a functioning unit was a printhead you'd think he would replace the head and then sell it for a bigger profit... If the seller doesn't see the sense in investing any more into the machine then why would you? If it is worth 3300 as a paper weight then I would think it would be worth double if it was working like new, they must not think it's worth fixing.

dbeere

TEST PRINT, HISTORY REPORT, STANDARD & HIGH QUALITY PRINT OF AN IMAGE WITH FULL SPECTRUM, AND A COMPLEX CutContour. THE HISTORY REPORT WILL SHOW THE LIFE SPAN OF THE HEADS. ITS A GREAT MACHINE, MINE RUNS EVERYDAY, ALL DAY!