• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac Design Stations Slow to Open and Save Files?

DaveD

I have three design stations that are all running Mac's (We also have two of the stations that have PC's for Gerber Omega). Within the last month there has been an issue with slow open and save times. We're talking 3 minutes to open a file with the word test as a vector image. I should mention that we are using Adobe CS5 for our design work and all art files are being saved to NAS devices. We have hired a couple new designers, one of them likes to download or import his own fonts all the time. I've read that may be a problem but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

omgsideburns

The fonts wont affect file transfer speeds, just how long it takes to open the adobe software.

Does the file open fast if it's on the computer vs opening across the network?

You need to try and narrow it down.

boxerbay

use a font manager like Suitcase Fusion.

check your NAS set up. are you running gigabit network? if not upgrade your switchers to gigabit and use cat6 cables to get more throughput.

... or just drop the macs and get a PC. :)

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
that is not right. you have a router/pinging issue of some kind. you need to reset the router and NAS by restarting everything hooked up to that, i think. i used an early imac once and it opened a GIGBITE file in photoshop with less time than that. as they say, "your pipes are clogged"

DaveD

Thanks for the suggestions. I saved a copy of a file to the desktop and had the same issue with save and open speeds?

I will find a time to shut everything down in the shop and restart one at a time. This will probably have to wait until after hours, so I'll update the post tomorrow with the results.

FYI, I had a designer build an supply order template using Indesign and it saved and opened super fast? That said I'll try something in Photoshop and see what happens.

DaveD

Thank again to all that help with suggestions. I found the issue!!!!!!!! In the library/preferences there is a file called com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist Delete this file and all is good in the world again. I hope this helps someone else in the future.