• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mack Brush "forked" on 1st use ?

swano

Hi Guys,

so i bought myself a bunch of new MACK brushes recently. i oiled and stored. but when i cleaned and used one it 'forked' on 1st use
within 10 minutes. then i cleaned and re-oiled it, and it forked in my storeage container

it was only #0 and it wasnt overly expensive, but i wrote to Mack with no reply.

thoughts?

swano

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 7.28.07 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 7.28.07 pm.png
    670.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 7.28.39 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 7.28.39 pm.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 156

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Forgive me for not remembering, but what kinda hair is that ??
Natural or synthetic ??
What kinda paint are/were you using ??
What did you use to clean them ??
What kinda oil are you using ??
Are they touching anything when in the tray ??....... like each other ??

SignosaurusRex

Forgive me for not remembering, but what kinda hair is that ??
Natural or synthetic ??
What kinda paint are/were you using ??
What did you use to clean them ??
What kinda oil are you using ??
Are they touching anything when in the tray ??....... like each other ??

That particular brush, is a Pure Red Sable. They are not meant to be used with oils...but can be without issues.
I have never seen that "forking" issue with a brand new brush...right out of the starting gate. Usually the "fork" is a result of something in between the hairs (another hair) or a dent in the ferrule itself, or being dropped on it's head. If either of those was the case at the factory, it would be apparent before QC and sizing is added to the hair for shipping. At the customer level, It would show up after it was cleaned of it's sizing and before oiling. The type of paint or brush oil used itself will not cause the issue, nor will side-by-side storage. If I had to guess...somebody miss-handled it between the time it was freshly oiled new and it's first proper/intended use or it was dropped, landing Hair/Ferrule first.