• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Macmedia International - Roland Sj 745-ex Main Board Issues

Stagecraft

Late last year I blew a fuse on the main board of our Roland SJ 745-EX. It had soldered-on fuses so I shipped it out to MacMedia International for repair. We got a board shipped back quickly and it had been converted to clip-on fuses. Upon installing the board we found that it was no longer printing on one head so after discussing the problem via email with Kent at MacMedia the board was shipped back to them and we waited...and waited...and waited. After several email attempts I was contacted to say that the board was fine and that there might be a problem with my headboard; they said they would ship the main board back to me and then we could proceed with further diagnostics, so we waited...and waited...and waited. After contacting MacMedia again we were told that the board had been shipped (we never received a shipping notification) and that they had no idea where it was but that they would contact Fedex.
The board was now missing, and as far as I know it wasn't with Fedex. MacMedia assured me they would send out another board from their stock.
A week later, Fedex delivers a board to us and it definitely was not my original board or the one that MacMedia had sent us the first time but they had assured me it would work.
Friday I installed the board, powered up and hit the setup button. I then saw text in the printer display window that said DO NOT USE MEDIA CLAMPS which I had never seen before. FWIW this is a 745-EX which is a printer only; the media clamps are permanently installed and the printer "reads" the clamp position during setup to determine the width of the media that's been loaded. The printer now thinks that the media in the machine is 73.2 inches wide when it is in fact 54 inches wide. This has me wondering if this board is even compatible with our machine.
Also when I do a test print, only the yellow and light cyan heads are printing (I have done the usual checks to ensure that ink is flowing to the printheads).
I know Kent and MacMedia have some fans here but we're now into our third month with this printer down and I have to say I'm just about at my wit's end dealing with them; so much of this frustration could be avoided by better communications with their clientele.
I have emails into every one of their addresses and will update as to how this all plays out.