• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magenta in Yellow

Goatshaver

So this morning I noticed the I'm getting magenta in my yellow printing. Bad head or something else? Can't afford to be down at all right now. I'm running a SP-540V

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_095102.jpg
    IMG_20190201_095102.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20190201_095115.jpg
    IMG_20190201_095115.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 216

Broome Signs

Hi its normally down to ink levels

Especially if you are using a bulk ink system or 3rd party inks as they may be more diluted than originals

Do the yellow and magenta shear the same pump?

If so yellow ink is lower than magenta and the magenta is being pulled into the head via the pump station

A few powerful cleans will normally rectify the problem before printing

If the yellow damper has been contaminated you will need to swap it out

Quick fix remove damper from head and use a syringe to pull the contaminated ink out

allways try to keep even preshour across the ink levels

Goatshaver

Hi its normally down to ink levels

Especially if you are using a bulk ink system or 3rd party inks as they may be more diluted than originals

Do the yellow and magenta shear the same pump?

If so yellow ink is lower than magenta and the magenta is being pulled into the head via the pump station

A few powerful cleans will normally rectify the problem before printing

If the yellow damper has been contaminated you will need to swap it out

Quick fix remove damper from head and use a syringe to pull the contaminated ink out

allways try to keep even preshour across the ink levels

I'm still learning about the machine and more now that I'm having to figure out how to do the maintenance myself on it. I believe they do share the same pump. My yellow ink level was lower so that was probably it. I'll run another test when I get a moment. Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is only one pump on this machine so they all share one. The yellow and magenta share a cap top.

Cross contamination can be caused by a few things. The most common is failing maintenance parts such as cap tops and pump. If the cap top and/or pump tubes are partially clogged they will fail to drain properly which causes the head to dock while ink is still in the cap top which then gets sucked up into the head. Also, if the wiper is super dirty it will contaminate the head as well.

Dampers can also cause this. If one damper is failing and the other is working fine, it is common for the working one to become contaminated due to ink dropping out of the head while docked and it shouldn't.

If an ink cartridge is empty and not flagging the machine properly it will cause this issue as well.

And last but not least you have the dreaded punctured membrane. As with anything these parts do wear down over time. If you have new cap tops, dampers, the pump is working properly, you know fore sure your ink cartridges are not defective, and you still can't get rid of the magenta in the yellow, the internal membrane that separates the channels has punctured and will not be fixable. In that case you just have to spring for a new head.

IsItFasst

I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue. It keeps coming back even after I have replaced the cap top and the dampers. It's random enough it hasn't been a concern but dealing with it once a week now even after replacing some things has me concerned. I have replaced both yellow and magenta dampers along with both cap tops. I have even replaced the CK cap top twice because it is not draining as quickly as the MY cap top. It seems to be building up ink in there even after replacing the cap top a second time. I always fill the cap tops with cleaning fluid when I clean. What would be causing the build up in the CK cap top? Would this be causing a problem with the yellow? I don't know where these cap tops came from so they may be some cheap junk pieces as I've had them a while (they have black drain lines while some others I have have clear lines).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would take a look at the Y connector that connects the two cap tops together and make sure it's not clogged or partially clogged. While you are in there, flush some cleaning solution through the pump lines to make sure they aren't partially clogged as well.

As far as the cap tops go, black lines is usually OEM. Clear is after market. I have never found a good after market cap. So if you find out it is non-OEM that would be the first thing I would change. How much did you pay for it? That's usually the easiest way to tell if it's after market.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
If doing all the above doesn't resolve it could be related to the printhead. But if the printer is brand new that would be unusual.
I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue. It keeps coming back even after I have replaced the cap top and the dampers. It's random enough it hasn't been a concern but dealing with it once a week now even after replacing some things has me concerned. I have replaced both yellow and magenta dampers along with both cap tops. I have even replaced the CK cap top twice because it is not draining as quickly as the MY cap top. It seems to be building up ink in there even after replacing the cap top a second time. I always fill the cap tops with cleaning fluid when I clean. What would be causing the build up in the CK cap top? Would this be causing a problem with the yellow? I don't know where these cap tops came from so they may be some cheap junk pieces as I've had them a while (they have black drain lines while some others I have have clear lines).

If all above doesn't work it could be the printheads as well, these heads are sensitive and this could be the issue too..

IsItFasst

I think my issue was a combination of things. Non-OEM cap tops was the start, partially clogged drain line was another (I think) and at some point the cap tops got adjusted too high causing the cross contamination. All is sorted now. Well besides after updating to a new computer and Flexisign I am having a white edge around some of my overlapping vector objects; but that is for another thread.

Lotta

My roland does the same ones in a while. It seems to be that yellow build up kind of a "vacuum" and when the Printer sits for a whil. It pulls back the Ink. While yellow and magenta share a head the magent is running back in the tube of yellow.

my german is better then my english ... so please excuse my mistakes.