• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnet warping help

brycesteiner

Hello,

I've done a few vehicle magnets now and I'm not extremely happy with them after giving them to customers. They look good initially and none have complained, but I see them warping and not adhering to vehicles on the edges after a month or two and I don't think this is acceptable.

I thought maybe it was just magnets are like this but now I look at a magnet I outsourced in the summer time and it looks much better.

The material I had purchased was Digimag 20 mil from Fellers. It seems like it works well initially and looks great, but I unrolled a little again and it looks like it's warped straight off the roll. Is this normal? It seems to have a very strong magnetic hold.

attachment.php

I used got this kind because it had more poles per inch and it was a little thinner and thinking it would adhere better because the wind couldn't grab it as easy if it's thinner. I have been mounting the vinyl on to it because of the horror stories I hear here about damaging the heads from strikes.

1. Is the vinyl causing this, if so, would I be better off printing straight to it?

2. Is this a bad roll or is this normal?

3. Should I cut it out of the middle only and waste the outsides that look warped?

I'm just not sure what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4399.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 305

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I would not use .020 for vehicle magnetics. Been doing them for over 43 years and .030 was always industry standard.

reQ

Gino is right/ 0.030 is even rated as "vehicle grade". So using fridge magnet material for vehicles is bad choice by default.

brycesteiner

Okay. I will do that.

Is this brand fine?

Does the warping in the picture man anything or is that not an issue?

Chalk it up to learning.

thanks,
Bryce

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I think that is fairly normal warping for magnets, but I also use .030 on vehicles. Continue to print on vinyl and apply to the magnet instead of direct printing. That being said, some cheaper vinyls will shrink in the sun and curl the edges, allowing failure.