• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic Material Brand Preference?

deadman

Our main supplier has switched brands.

We have always used the Magnum Flexible Magnetic Material.

Our shipment today included a roll of Arnold SafeMag. I see the main difference is a coating on the side that will make contact with a vehicle's painted surface.

Is this a good thing, bad thing, or does it even matter?

Pat Whatley

Magnum Magnetic. I'll send anything else back, I don't care what they tell me about something different. Every problem we've ever had with magnetics came when somebody tried to make the material better. We have NEVER had a problem with Magnum.

We tried a brand several years ago (not Arnold, I would have remembered that name) that had a laminate on the back to keep the magnetic from sticking. Problem was that when the material got hot the protective coating would come off exposing the magnetic which would then stick like the cheap mess it was.

What is there a difference between the 20 mil and the 30 mil? Is one more durable than the other or one recommend over the other for a vehicle application?

jiarby

All magnetic material sucks... even Magnum. Especially here in AZ!
I have had Magnum de-laminate... the white vinyl bubbling off the black rubber.

Even so, if I have to make a magnet I use Magnum 30mil

What is there a difference between the 20 mil and the 30 mil

The same as the difference between $30 and $20... 50% more material. It is thicker.

BobCap

20 or 30 mil

We have always used 30 mil for vehicle signs. I was told they have a better magnetic hold and won't fall off in the wind. I was also told to make sure you use a corner rounder for the same reason.

Bob Cap
AAI

BobCap

Mag Media

The 30 mil has a stronger magnetic field than the 20 mil.

Durability of the printable side would be the same.

J

john1

Magnum, PowerMag, ProMAG it's all the same manufacture i think. Used with zero problems.

synergy_jim

Magnum is great, but I recently had some issues with ink not adhering when printed on a Vutek UV flatbed.... I used the regular magnum 15mil. Does it adhere any better on Digimag?