• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic ppi?

DoubleDiamond

I have been using the 30mil magnetic. Here in Texas it get very hot and the thin mags look like bacon after only a few weeks of summer. What I just noticed though is that the 20 mil comes in with 16ppi and the 30 is only 12ppi (poles per inch maybe). Same manufacturer too. The heavier thick mag should be more magnetic, right? I am thinking of switching to the 20mil. I have only had a few customers say they just blew off and it seemed around the same time, so I assumed we got a bad roll.
any advice?
Thanks, JM

bannertime

I've posted this before, but, I believe, even though the 12ppi is lower, the overall magnetic strength is higher. I'll see if I can find the info again.

http://www.magnetking.com/store/magnet-strength-comparison

This site shows some information on thickness and strength from their own test. They don't say anything about the math. Magnum Magnetics talks briefly about PPI in a document (pdf), basically that higher is stronger, but less "reach." The last sentence says that the thickness is also apart of the equation, but no other details about that.

So with that in mind, I'd guess that 12ppi .030 is about the same strength or a tad higher than .020 16ppi. Because 14ppi .030 is significantly higher.

Last edited:

2B

yes, that is a question we have had before regarding the PPI and thickness.

as a fellow TX, we also see the "bacon" effect and have never tried the thinner material because of this.

for the magnets blowing off, we switched from Magnum to CareSafe and have had a drastic reduction of issues
Another point to make sure of is the customer storage/car of magnets and the placement is more important than before because the newer vehicles have LESS magnetic material in the bodies