• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making my ink lst longer

customcreations

I have starting unplugging my machine to keep it from auto cleaning. I used to use a set every 4 weeks now I can go like 3 months,. I have noticed no problems because of this. Of course I am not a high volume shop. I just realized how much ink I was wasting on the auto clean function every 6 hours. My machine is stuck on a every 6 hour deal-- no changing it. Now I do baby my machine somewhat too by keeping it in my house. Only problem I have run into is that after the ink cartridge's get so old they will pop up not original. But heck I gotta do what I can to pinch money these days. Just wondering if anyone else does this.--Phillip

petesign

I guess my point is, either way i think it's a bad idea. Eco-solvents might not be as bad as solvent inks, but you are going to likely regret it. Can you not change your cleaning intervals to 12 hours? You dont want those inks drying and clogging your head... or what you think you are saving on your inks will come out ten fold when you have to replace your print head. Maybe do some research on what to do to store your machine for long periods of inactivity and do that each time you want to leave it off for a few days. I'm guessing that would include flushing the system though, and you'd be better off letting it auto clean.

StickerMC

Fat guy that makes stickers
If it's like my 1324, you have 2 places in the menu to set the timer. I think it's under sleep settings instead of automatic cleaning. I had the same thing happen to me when I got the printer. I had the auto clean set to 24 hrs, but the sleep cleaning was set to 6 hrs from the factory. If you can't find it, let me know & I'll look when my printer stops.

heyskull

I reckon you will run into problems (blocked heads, etc.) eventually.
I've fitted a bulk ink system to our valuejet and ink cost is no longer an issue so I have upped the amount of times it does a clean.
To be honest I think you are doing your machine more harm than good.
I have found these machines are more reliable the more you use them.
Over the last 2 years our machine is running almost 8 hours a day and I have had less blockages and issues than the first 3 years of ownership where I was worrying about how much ink it used because of the cost.
Maybe you should not have bought the machine in the first place and subbed the work out. The other way is to find more work for it banners, labels, etc.

SC

Techman

my printer sits weeks between each use sometimes. And it never plugs or dries up the heads when parked right.

Conor Knoxx

I have a 1204, and the clean cycle is set to 6 hours. However, in 5 years I've never once heard it do a cleaning when it's just sitting there, not in use. If 6 hours go by, and I send a print job, it will auto-clean before it starts printing, but that's the only time. Never really had a problem with it, and while at times it's printing everyday - there are gaps where it might not print for a whole week, never been a problem.
I also use a bulk ink system, but that's only in the last year.
Also, while the folks that make these things know a LOT more about them than we do.... they're also the guys selling the ink :wink:

I also don't see where "sitting idle" or off, can cause the "not original" error on the cartridges?

thmooch

When traveling for a few days I will pull the dampers, fill the capping station with cleaning solution, park the heads. If I don't pull the dampers they will suck up the cleaning solution and contaminate the color in each damper.

FatCat

I'll go ahead and throw my .02¢ in, this is of course all based on my experience and my opinion - FWIW...

I run both a 1204 and 1604. The 1204 I've had for 3 years, the 1604 I just bought used this spring. Both of them are shut down every night, weekends and when not in use. The 1204 ran OEM ink for nearly the first 2 years of it's life. However, both of them are using a bulk ink system. (I save enough on average to make my truck payment every month vs. using OEM.) Typically they each run anywhere from 1-8 hours every day. However, sometimes during slow periods, I may only use 1 printer and not the other. At this point, I have little fear of leaving a printer off for 3-5 days. I would get a little antsy beyond that, but I would be downright worried if left off for more than 2 weeks. Not because I feel it couldn't be saved, but I know the amount of work you typically have to invest if you leave your machine off and the head starts drying out.

Again, this is my experience talking only, but I have found the eco-solv inks to be very forgiving in comparison to mild or full solvents. I've left both printers off for several days at a time, during holidays and weekends with no ill effects. In truth, I may come in and find some missing nozzles, but usually 1 or 2 quick cleans and they're back up to full status. Even if not, I have used other methods to clean the head that most wouldn't attempt. But sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures - and at some point you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I MUST STRESS, I have found the most important thing to ensure these ValueJets print properly and minimize losing nozzles is to ensure a regular cleaning once or twice a week around the head, around the capping station, and keep the drain lines clear of clogs. In addition, the CONDITION of the capping station and it's ALIGNMENT are CRITICAL to a properly functioning dx5 head to not lose nozzles while sitting idle. If you don't have a tight seal around the head, even if just on one side, it will cause you nothing but headaches - even if the printer is left on and in doing auto-cleans. I strongly advise to replace your capping station every 1-2 years even if you think it doesn't need it. Once problems arise, they can snowball quickly.

In the end, much will come down to whether you are comfortable working on your machine at the mechanical level and if you are willing to do what it takes to keep it running.

SignTeam.us

My Mutoh 1608HS is setup to do a cleaning at the end of each print and every 4 hours when not in use, and still having problems when printing with missing colors. I have gallons of waste ink next to the printer. My Roland do a cleaning once a day and works great.

sfr table hockey

I think the biggest key is the ink you use. There are many ecosol inks that will dry up at different rates. Some times cheaper inks are just that, cheaper and there may be a reason for that. If you print every day with auto clean cycles you may not have issues. Leave sit for a couple days and things may dry up. Most times I think the drain lines are the first to dry up and clog causing all the other issues.

Not so much the brand of printer but the ink you use that will determine if you can skip the auto cleaning.

My older Roland does not have the auto clean feature so it has sat for a week or almost two, and with Rolands ink in it, a flush of the drain lines and a reg clean and it's good to go.

FatCat

My Mutoh 1608HS is setup to do a cleaning at the end of each print and every 4 hours when not in use, and still having problems when printing with missing colors. I have gallons of waste ink next to the printer. My Roland do a cleaning once a day and works great.

In all fairness, the 1608 is a "flatbed" printer and uses a completely different ink set (Mubio Ink) which is much different than the eco-sol used in your Roland or the regular ValueJet line. However, I feel the regular ValueJets are great printers and I couldn't be happier with my 1204 or 1604. :thumb:

*I feel sorry for those who invested in those 1608 machines because it seems I hear nothing but negative things about them.