• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making Shapes in the form of an Oval

LUV DEM TIGERS

Okay, using Coreldraw 12 or X4, how can I make a series of dots into the shape of an oval? I know how to "fit text to path" but if I had a series of dots, how would I do that?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Okay, using Coreldraw 12 or X4, how can I make a series of dots into the shape of an oval? I know how to "fit text to path" but if I had a series of dots, how would I do that?

If you want round dots then you're pretty much stuck with entering a line of periods in a font that has a round period, drawing the target oval, and then fitting the line of periods to the oval with the Text->Fit Text To Path function. When the line of periods is fitted to the oval you can add or remove periods as necessary merely by selecting the end of the text with the Text tool and then backspace or type periods as necessary.

If square dots are OK, just draw the oval and then change its line type to a dotted line. You can adjust the size of the dots in the line by using various thicknesses of outline on the dotted line.

LUV DEM TIGERS

If you want round dots then you're pretty much stuck with entering a line of periods in a font that has a round period, drawing the target oval, and then fitting the line of periods to the oval with the Text->Fit Text To Path function. When the line of periods is fitted to the oval you can add or remove periods as necessary merely by selecting the end of the text with the Text tool and then backspace or type periods as necessary.

If square dots are OK, just draw the oval and then change its line type to a dotted line. You can adjust the size of the dots in the line by using various thicknesses of outline on the dotted line.

That worked great. But I would still like to find out if there is another way. That seems like that would be one of the simplest of all task yet nobody can figure it out.

LUV DEM TIGERS

I looked into this a while ago for a job I had. There isn't an easy way to do this in corel, you can fit text to path easily enough, but you can't fit vector shapes to a path. Someone did write a corel script that will allow you to do it, but I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.oberonplace.com/products/fitobjects/index.htm

Actually on another message board someone gave me the answer and it worked. I am still going to play with it tonight to perfect it.

Here is what he offered:

You draw one circle shape, make a duplicate and move it over. Then you have your path or shape you what to them to fit to, let’s say a larger circle.
Use the blend tool to blend between the two circles. Select the Blend path tool and select the larger shape then adjust the two smaller ones to fit where you want them or add more to fill in as needed.

Path 1.jpg

rubo

you can actually make fonts in Corel - done in ver. 5 long ago, don't remember how, but shouldn't be hard to find - will look up later, but the idea is you can create a font out of your vector outline.

MikePro

can't set a stroke of a line to be a dot?

edited: dang, thought i had the option in illustrator but I guess I can only make dashes :(

CES020

can't set a stroke of a line to be a dot?

edited: dang, thought i had the option in illustrator but I guess I can only make dashes :(

You can make anything you want in Corel or in Illustrator. Dots, dashing, rubber chickens, corndogs, doesn't matter. Both will apply any shape to any shape.

Joe Diaz

The blend tool, then use the "path properties" tool is the best way I have found to follow certain paths. If your just following a circle path, I have found the easiest way is to create your first dot, using your snap to objects command snap that dot to a quadrant on the circle path, double click on that dot to pull up your rotate and skew command. Move the pivot point of the dot to the center of the circle. With snap to objects turned on it should help you. Press "ctrl + d" to duplicate that dot. Making sure that the duplicated dot is in the same position click on it a second time to display your rotate commands again. Rotate your newly created dot around the circle path. I find that holding down ctrl will rotate it in increments of 15 degrees. Your piviot point you altered before will help. Once the second dot is where it needs to be, press Ctrl + d again and agian and again.... The new dots will follow the path of your larger circle. You can do this with any shape not just dots.