• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Making Translucent Sign Faces / Need Advice

VinylSticks

Hi all. I have a customer with an illuminated sign cabinet, that has a clear pan-face sign in it. He wants me to wrap the pan-face, but he wants the vinyl applied to the inside of the pan-face "because that's how it was". He peeled off the old vinyl. It was red die-cut oracal translucent vinyl with a white layer over the entire back of the vinyl.
His logo is 5 colors, and has a gradient in the name.
Is there a wide-format translucent vinyl that can be applied to the inside of the pan-face? Air-egress?
Also, in the past I made a translucent sign on clear plastic, and the print was washed out when the lights were turned on. It became real dim.
On top of all of that, this customer is very picky about his colors. This is stressing me out. Any experience or advice you offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Billct2

You need to do a day/night print. I never applied on to the inside (or outside) of a pan face. Not sure how it works to wrap the edge with translucent.

rjssigns

If the client is super picky send him to another shop, or make the estimate really worth your time and blood pressure.

bannertime

I think on this I'd try a reverse print on clear, apply inside, then do another layer right behind it on white translucent material as the diffuser that has the second print for night time color. You could reachout to someone like SignFaces.com to see if they have any options for you. But really, this isn't something you should have thin margins on either. Maybe even do a small sample on clear acrylic for them to look at and sign off.

LarryB

I wouldn't touch this. I'm sure the pan is faded with the old image of the graphics. How are you going to match it up? I would only sell a new pan face.

C

ColoPrinthead

I have luck with Avery 2050, but not as a second surface and it has no air release. If you use 2050 with Onyx and a latex machine, you will need to set it to max saturation in editor, and I would suggest doing test prints with different saturation adjustments in addition to that in order to know what results to expect.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Just because that's how the one he has was done doesn't mean it's the best way to make the sign. It's your job to educate the client on the best way to create his sign and give him the longevity he wants.

Personally, I would not apply graphics to the inside of a pan face, or ANY illuminated sign for that matter. If you're concerned about bits being washed out, why not use colored translucent vinyl as much as possible? Print a color onto another to create the gradient required (if possible).

I did a cobalt blue print on an olympic blue trans vinyl for a client that had a blue to blue fade. Client LOVED the end product; it looks great during the day and lights up awesome at night. Edge printed. It's been about five years since we installed and you'd think we put it up this week.

OhioSigns

I wouldn't touch this. I'm sure the pan is faded with the old image of the graphics. How are you going to match it up? I would only sell a new pan face.
Agree...... I would try up-selling a new face to him and just have a wholesaler make a clear pan with second surface paint using his specified colors. With a new face you could add embossing to make it look even nicer. I've used Signfaces, Daniels Wholesale and World Wide Sign Systems and they are all pretty good.

MikePro

if it was all 2nd surface originally and your client removed his own graphics...I would bet five dollhairs that its most likely scratched-up so bad that any vinyl you would lay 2nd-surface, would not look so hot when viewed through the face.