• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Man, Follow-up cold calling isn't fun

J

john1

Sent out a 860 piece over-sized postcard mailer to every service industry within 30 minute driving distance from me advertising service related advertising products.

The list i bought had the owners name and phone number on it so i could follow up with a cold call. I'm guessing you can call it a cold call anyway.

Called about dozen and half so far and either they don't answer and i get a answering machine, phone number no longer is in service or they answer and say that they went out of business. So far only 2 people have had a "Thanks for calling X on the other end, Others have just went "HALLO!" all grumpy even on their voice-mails.

No fun lol

Techman

In my experience.
Most business persons are so fed up with spam calls they are on auto hate.

People hate spam calls to the point they will do all of what you experienced.
Even as a follow up call they hate the caller.

good luck with it.

J

john1

I really thought this was a good thing to do with direct mail, I would think sending it out and waiting by the phone is a bad approach.

I had a good response from the first mailer i sent a few months ago and i didn't follow up call. This was mid summer so i think i caught them at a good time.

I understand hating spam calls but what if i was calling to do business with them? I wouldn't immediately after hearing how they answer the phone.

ProWraps

direct mail = worthless waste of time and money.

did it for months when i first started. i got me nothing.

J

john1

did it for months when i first started. i got me nothing.

First mailer i received 8 calls, 5 which are now customers. Worked alright if you ask me.

I am stopping into businesses locally handing them a information brochure about my services and have a few quotes to do but this time of year is a tough time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So...... this list you have........ the contact names it provides for you ...... are they the names of the actual people you need to contact to do business with or is it just some random person or the owner who doesn't want to be bothered ??

If your initial postcard is just another fly-by-night advertisement, I'd round file it and if someone called representing a company I had no intentions of doing business, I'd probably either string ya along or just hang up on ya for wasting my time.

You need to really get your point across on a mailer... or even if you're cold calling on the phone or emailing. You need to in a few seconds get your strong points across and why they should consider changing who they're already using to use someone they never heard of. Make sense ??

You need to make their situation better by using you. They don't want a list of things you do. They know what they want and how to get it done. You need to convince them how you're gonna save them money, time and make their life easier in about 4 seconds. You don't want to talk over them, but at the same time convince them to listen to you for another 15 seconds, peek their curiosity and make an appointment to come show them how you're gonna give them a proposition that will solve it all.

You have to prove yourself, not some trinkets you can provide. In today's market, everyone knows this stuff is a push of a button and everyone has different profit margins. You have to put yourself in control and yet be accommodating.

TheLairdGuy

Hey John1,

It's funny out often people aren't in a good mood just because they're at work isn't it?

I work in sales and can certainly appreciate how you feel; I know after the first few disconnected numbers or flat out "no's" the momentum can die pretty quick.

I'm not sure if I can help, but I can tell you I mentor some other salespeople who have had some success, and if you would like a few tips, feel free to PM me and we can have a quick conversation.

I have to say upfront: If you're looking for foolproof closes or quick ways to close the sale, I'm not in a position to help because that's not what I do.

Regardless, best of luck with growing your business.

S'N'S

If I have a quiet spell I actually take a day to drive around and "cold call" and found that face to face works much better than flyers or phone calls. Don't get as many knock backs and you get a chance to show some of your work, after all it's a cold call and they don't know what you or your works like so here's your chance to impress them.
Just my opinion.

John L

You seem like you are into the theory of sales so I will offer this.. Your reasoning is exactly the opposite of how I feel about cold callers calling me to sell their wares. If someone calls me out of the blue to pitch anything, I would never, ever buy what they are selling.. from them. Ironically though, receiving unwanted sales calls has, on rare occasion, reminded me that i do actually need what the caller is selling. So then, after I brow beat the cold caller a little, I go on the look for and purchase from someone that didnt contact me trying to sell that very thing.

John L

Hey John1,

It's funny out often people aren't in a good mood just because they're at work isn't it?

I work in sales and can certainly appreciate how you feel; I know after the first few disconnected numbers or flat out "no's" the momentum can die pretty quick.

I'm not sure if I can help, but I can tell you I mentor some other salespeople who have had some success, and if you would like a few tips, feel free to PM me and we can have a quick conversation.

I have to say upfront: If you're looking for foolproof closes or quick ways to close the sale, I'm not in a position to help because that's not what I do.

Regardless, best of luck with growing your business.

If you post your tips here maybe everyone can learn a little something. I know I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

visual800

often when I approach a sales method I try and ask myself what would I do? If its junk mail it gets trashed. if its a telemarketing call they get hung up on, no hesistation. I have been cold calling for most of my business and its a shot in the dark it can be the biggest letdown and it can pay off big!!!

The ONLY time I cold call is if I feel as though they absolutely can need my services. When I call I say:
"This is Bruce at Visual Images I need to talk with someone about the signage out here on the new project and placement of them please" I normally get a contact name OR they send me to them. It sounds as though Im already on it and I got some questions. It may be decieving but it gets me past the receptionist winch aka phone screener!

The b***th is when you get the receptionist that obviously has a degree in phone screenings. These are always fun, they wanna play 20 questions and give you responses like. "I dont think we have ordered any signs, yet" or "I think thats already been taking care of", thats when you call back at lunch when the wench is gone and then you can get thru

Marlene

I definitely fall into the "auto hate" with cold callers..... they meet the "end" button real quick fast on my phone as soon as I determine it's not a potential customer.

I don't think anyone appreciates a sales call. I know that when I get them, I get an attitude towards the caller as is it just like having someone barge into my office and start talking to me when I am right in the middle of something. the mailers are OK as they can call if they want to but cold calls just suck. if you call because you see their sign is falling apart and needs to be replaced or isn't lighting, that is another thing as they may actually want your services and just haven't gotten around to finding someone to do the work.

Techman

Yes if the mail piece is nothing more than a brag sheet. IF the piece is nothing more than a look what I can do.

But, if done right and the right copy is written it works better than some may think.
Direct mail is almost all I do any more. Phone book is dead and buried. Newspaper ads are mere filler. Cold calls are a big annoyance.

But, direct mail works. I use EDDM and have developed the Drip Method into a pay off.
In fact I am spending 1200 bux this week on a Christmas mail out for myself..

Border

Tech, I have been looking at the EDDM routes around my area as well, and compiling my mail pieces to use for that.

When someone cold calls, I usually try to be courteous at first and give them about 5-10 seconds of my time. If in that amount of time they don't ask me if they caught me at a good or bad time, I will interrupt and the call is usually over. If they try to persist after I tell them I am not interested, that's when I become an instant a-hole.

I would NEVER buy or use anything from someone who tries to force-feed it to me.

Techman

Tech, I have been looking at the EDDM routes around my area as well, and compiling my mail pieces to use for that.

Remember, Compelling means your piece will say nothing about how great you are. A compelling piece will say how you will meet their most serious of needs. How you will relieve them of some anxiety and pain.

royster13

Do not be too worried about those the cast off cold calling sales folks....About 97% of the folks you meet may be that way but the other 3% will welcome you.....Cold calling takes persistence.......It helps to be courteous and ask if they have time to listen to you for a few minutes......It also helps to call on folks that have been referred to you by an existing client.....

As for direct mail......It absolutely works.......But again it takes persistence.......It is mostly about creating "top of mind" awareness so that when they need the products and service you offer, you will be high on their list....

Robert M

Warm call

I like your approach of following up on your mailer. Hopefully the prospect has seen your piece and he will have some idea of who you are. The key here is to ask the right questions once contact is made. Often the prospect may not need your product today, but he may need it in 3 months. You need to find this out by asking the right questions and then make a note to follow up in 3 months when he is looking to buy. It is a numbers game where organized follow up is the key. Smile and dial, and don't take the rejection personally.

SD&F

Cold calling can be tough, but remember not to take it personal. I just remember that if I get one out of 10 to talk to me then I have accomplished what I set out to do. The more rocks you turn over the closer you get to the one that has what you are looking for...the one who will take a moment to listen.