• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

manhole cover sign?

gabagoo

I have never seen one of these before, but I have a customer asking for a sign to be screwed onto a manhole cover. I am a little concerned as to how I would do this and be satisifed that anything I provide him would stand up to the punishment it could take from cars and trucks running over it. The sign is circular and about 16". Anyone ever heard of something being done like this?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd start by asking whichever utility it belongs to, if you can even legally do it. Paint would be about the only thing and even that would need to be a special kind. The liability of screwing something fast to a cover seems mighty high. Someone crossing the street, trips and falls over it and a car or truck hits them...... nope, don't think it's gonna happen, not on the outside.

Johnny Best

I would think to attach something to the cover it would start to "rack" when cars and trucks pass over it leaving it to move. They make them relatively flat for a reason.
Plus it is cast iron or steel and screwing it on might be difficult to attach.

gabagoo

I don't think it is a man hole cover that is flat, and I have a feeling it is on private property. It is the type of cover that has a checkered pattern of steel nubs, which makes it even more dangerous... I will simply say no.can do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you said....... stand up to the punishment it could take from cars and trucks running over it ....... I figured you meant a normal manhole cover. Saying 'no' is the smart thing to do, especially if you have no idea what it is.

papabud

Lone Wolf
man hole covers are owned by the company that services the utilities that they access.
a person could get in trouble for vandalism if they modify them.
i could see a short term decorative piece on it for a festival or something.
but if you don't deal directly with the utility company. i say no you shouldn't do it.

HandsomeBob

The cover is made of steel which you would have to drill. I like the wrap idea or use epoxy. In any case, after you clear up the court case and finish paying damages let us know how it all worked out.

If your client is not the utility who owns the manhole cover then who is responsible for the damage done to the cover by drilling or eopxy. You know for sure that your client will walk away if there are repercussions and leave you holding the bag. This is like getting approval from the owner of a building before putting up a tenant's sign.

Of course, if you do this one little job the client will bring you all kinds of additional business and recommend you to all their friends.

Just walk away - - - just walk away.

gabagoo

The cover is made of steel which you would have to drill. I like the wrap idea or use epoxy. In any case, after you clear up the court case and finish paying damages let us know how it all worked out.

If your client is not the utility who owns the manhole cover then who is responsible for the damage done to the cover by drilling or eopxy. You know for sure that your client will walk away if there are repercussions and leave you holding the bag. This is like getting approval from the owner of a building before putting up a tenant's sign.

Of course, if you do this one little job the client will bring you all kinds of additional business and recommend you to all their friends.

Just walk away - - - just walk away.
I did not say i was installing said item

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I did not say i was installing said item

Actually, yes you did.

I have never seen one of these before, but I have a customer asking for a sign to be screwed onto a manhole cover. I am a little concerned as to how I would do this and be satisifed that anything I provide him would stand up to the punishment it could take from cars and trucks running over it. The sign is circular and about 16". Anyone ever heard of something being done like this?

You might not have said it in those words, but everything you have written, indicates your customer wants you to do this from start to finish. I can see how you can wiggle out of this, but who cares..... ya ain't doing it anyway. Another dead-end thread.

Last edited:

gabagoo

sorry, I worded it incorrectly. I supply to a re-seller...he sells to customer who does whatever he wants with it, which is screw it to the manhole ... I shortened the explanation but you get the gist.... now stop trolling and get back to work.:)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
My 12 year old mindset can't get passed associating "manhole cover" needed with Old Paint in his infamous green Speedos'.
Hopefully St. Peter met him at the gates and gave him one of those long white gowns without the opening in the back....

wayne k
guam usa

HandsomeBob

Since the client is installing, go ahead and sell the client the sign or wrap material for the job.

Sell it with the usual caution that you do not guarantee that the material will last a certain amount of time in this application and are not making a guarantee that they can take the material off without damage to the substrate. Best to write the no guarantee on the workorder they sign when they pick up.