• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mark Scan Error

JohnBoy1972

Need advice on figuring out how to get around this "Mark Scan Error" problem. I have the correct registration mark thickness and I am using type 2 mark. All other parameters are correct as well as far as I can tell. I put my printed design in my Q100 cutter and it reads the first registration mark but then when it goes to read the second one it returns "Mark Scan Error" I have literally done everything I can think of at this point.

papabud

Lone Wolf
ok first question. how was the marks created.
what does your cutter do when looking for the mark. is it near it. does it try to read it or just what?

JohnBoy1972

ok first question. how was the marks created.
what does your cutter do when looking for the mark. is it near it. does it try to read it or just what?
Hello, I created the reg marks in Illustrator with the Mimaki Fine Cut plugin. I put my printed design with contour cut and reg marks in my Q100 cutter and then I position the cutter head/sensor near the first reg mark ... it reads that one goes to the next reg mark and then gives me Mark Scan Error

papabud

Lone Wolf
can your print program create cut reg marks. it may be looking for something thats at a different location than what your printing

JohnBoy1972

can your print program create cut reg marks. it may be looking for something thats at a different location than what your printing
Well I am printing with mimaki raster link software and I am cutting on a Q100 vinyl express. I create designs in Flexi 8.1 and then export them as a .eps ... then open them in mimaki raster link and send that. I can run my cutter from my flexi. So I am trying to take my registration marks and use them to cut the contour on my q100.

OhioSigns

First thing I would check is that the print size is printed at it's correct size. I've ran into an issue where my HP 360 will go to sleep overnight and if I just restart it without unloading and reloading the roll it will print about 1/4" to 1/2" short. Just measure and double check that your print is correct as the plotter may be trying to read the registration marks where they should be and they're not there. That would just be the first thing I would check.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Make your own type 2 marks and place them at the corners of a rectangle that contains the image to be contour cut. Make the rectangle with simple measurements and note them. Load the print into the plotter and use the plotter's local automatic or manual mark sense features. When the plotter is finished sensing the marks it will prompt you to correct the dimensions it detected. Enter the actual X and Y measurements of the bounding rectangle and you're good to go. This seldom, if ever, fails.

If, for some reason or another it should fail, then use the manual bomb sight marks. This never, ever, fails.

Using software generated marks then exporting, printing, and then cutting can be sketchy. There's lots of things that can go wrong.

Joe House

I'm not sure why you're using a Mimaki software to create reg marks for your Q100 plotter which isn't made by Mimaki. It would be most efficient if you just upgrade your Flexi and then you'd have drivers for your Q100 included and could do your print/cut workflow all from Flexi. Or does your Q100 plotter come with a software plug in for illustrator or Corel? I don't think you'll get there with a hodge podge set up. Or, use a manual registration system as Bob suggested.

JohnBoy1972

I'm not sure why you're using a Mimaki software to create reg marks for your Q100 plotter which isn't made by Mimaki. It would be most efficient if you just upgrade your Flexi and then you'd have drivers for your Q100 included and could do your print/cut workflow all from Flexi. Or does your Q100 plotter come with a software plug in for illustrator or Corel? I don't think you'll get there with a hodge podge set up. Or, use a manual registration system as Bob suggested.

Well the owner of the shop doesn't want to upgrade and says the last graphic designer was able to get ti to work.. so that's what I have to work with. I have been using the manual registration marks to no avail.

JohnBoy1972

Make your own type 2 marks and place them at the corners of a rectangle that contains the image to be contour cut. Make the rectangle with simple measurements and note them. Load the print into the plotter and use the plotter's local automatic or manual mark sense features. When the plotter is finished sensing the marks it will prompt you to correct the dimensions it detected. Enter the actual X and Y measurements of the bounding rectangle and you're good to go. This seldom, if ever, fails.

If, for some reason or another it should fail, then use the manual bomb sight marks. This never, ever, fails.

Using software generated marks then exporting, printing, and then cutting can be sketchy. There's lots of things that can go wrong.

What is a manual bomb sight mark? I've never heard of that but if it works I'm willing to try.