• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Masking Vinyl & Painting

Justin

How often do you all cut masking vinyl, and paint signs/motorcycles/vehicles, etc..?

Any pics?

Any tips?

showcase 66

I do quite a bit for a local body shop. The give me ready to cut designs and bought the rolls of vinyl. I cut it. They weed it. Other than that, I dont use it that often so I dont have any pics that I can show. I will see if they take any while working on the cars.

Also, I dont believe it works that well over more spherical areas.

Mosh

Back in "the day" I used to do alot of stuff painted with gerber-mask. The key is to not let the paint get cured all the way before pulling the mask, but dry enough to not mess up the paint. Takes some practice. AND painting first surface, the best results are to clear it with serveral coats of clear coat AND wet sanding (500-100 paper) between coats of clear so you don't feel the painted edge. Lots more work than they show on TV.

Atomic DNA

Daily, as this our primary business. Not really much to add except for the equipment/supplies that we use. Mac based, Illustrator, Graphtec FC 8000 series plotter and various masking material from 3M, Oracal and Avery. I also have a 30" plotter (Graphtec FC 7000) that needs a new home.

Justin

Thanks for replies.. I personally haven't done this yet but I'm going to maybe try it this weekend if the local hardware store has some discounted brought back wrong color, or whatever paint...

Jillbeans

^Are you talking about house paint? Latex? Oil-based?

Some paints are not as mask-friendly. Some "hot" car paints will flat out melt the masking.

I paint freehand whenever possible because I fricking HATE painting with a mask. The best mask I've found is Oracal, but I hate that too. Give me a pounce pattern any day or even a damn hardware store wooden yardstick. That's all I need.
Love....Jill

visual800

I used to buy old sparcal vinyl as my masking at a local sign supplier. I paid $20 per roll fr 24" x 50 yards. It would stick good enough for a mask and pell right off, it was BETTER than masking. I used a ton of it for eradicating awnings.

I have used it on dryvit walls, brick, automotive...everything. wish I could find some more!

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_25032.jpg
    IMG_25032.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 117

Justin

I used to buy old sparcal vinyl as my masking at a local sign supplier. I paid $20 per roll fr 24" x 50 yards. It would stick good enough for a mask and pell right off, it was BETTER than masking. I used a ton of it for eradicating awnings.

I have used it on dryvit walls, brick, automotive...everything. wish I could find some more!

Those are AWESOME! Thanks for the pictures! Any tips?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just not something we often get the call for or the chance to push. Recent one - about as basic as it gets, reverse weed paint mask, stick to boat, paint flat black. Just plain old lettering. But thats what they wanted - the boat is a ultra flat finish and they wanted the lettering to match. Actually was tough because the vinyl, masking tape etc really did not want to stick to that finish at all.

Attachments

• dnr1.jpg
    dnr1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 126

visual800

tips? rip it off when paint is wet. rip if off slowly as the vinyl masking will droop and leave marks on your finished product. after you get the basic design down then you can go it and do some detail

OldPaint

i do some jobs this way, specially small text. cut a mask, apply, roll on the paint, let the surface get dry, then remove mask. this way, the edge tends to blend better with the background and not be a sharp edge when you run you hand over it AFTER it is totally dry. i still prefer oil base paints for this as they flow better and take a little longer to dry.
if its a job thats 3" or bigger letters, if its a specific font, then pounce pattern like jill said. if its not a tight, strict font, i just kinda layout the letters with a china marker.......till it looks right and throw paint at it))))))) this is the most fun.

Colt

What masking vinyl that goes in a cutter works with Acrylic Lacquer paint? Something that won't leave residue.

I've read when painting with a vinyl stencil. To first put spray a coat of whatever the background color is. That is so it seals the vinyl to reduce/eliminate any chance of under spray. i.e. spray getting underneath the vinyl. Then you spray whatever top coat color you want.