• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Buckling

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Does anyone have excessive buckling and headstrikes on the L360?
This is typically happening on lower end material (calendered) offerings from both oracal and avery. I assume heat is a factor but I don't have the same issue on our L26500.
The material will sometimes buckle completely and get caught in the "exit tunnel" and crash the carriage completely. Sometimes it will just strike on areas in the print where it randomly buckles up.
A couple of minutes after the print stops the material will buckle up off the platen at each end between 1/4 to 1/2 inch. These scenarios are all with the use of the edge guards. I have never installed the edge guards in the L26500.
The profile has the temp set to 116 degrees C. I have tried managing the humidity in the print room from 40% to 60% with no difference.

I created a profile with lower ink limits and thus reduced the temp to 105. There may be a slight improvement but still completely unacceptable.

Any input would be helpful and appreciated. I have not had much support from my supplier other than "it's a heat issue".

Media deformation tends to be less of an issue with the Latex 300 than the 200 series, but there are always exceptions. Here is a video on media deformation and re-mediating and avoiding substrate jams on the Latex 300 Series:

[video=youtube;ZajvDkn-b64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajvDkn-b64[/video]

I find that advancing the media until the leading edge is entering the curing zone before starting to print will eliminate most issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

tunneling/buckling issues have always been fixed on my 26500 by simply pre-feeding an extra foot or so... so that I may apply tension to the media as it comes out of the printer.
once it is far-enough to be taped to your take-up, the weight of the media itself has always been enough to keep it flat while printing.