• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material suggestions for graphic application over rivets

dbeere

I need suggestions for the best material to apply graphics on the side of a trailer covered in rivets. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Printed or cut vinyl?

I would use a cast vinyl......period!

We use....

Printed - 3M IJ180cV3 with 8548
Cut - 3M/Avery/Oracal cast vinyl. For large coverage areas/stripes/etc. An air release vinyl like 3M180

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is your level of expertise of laying vinyl on something flat, let alone over rivets ?? Your profile shows no experience at all...... and you wanna experiment based on what you read on a forum ??

I would say just about any air egress product will do the trick, but at your level, it won't matter if it's good or mediocre. You need to work shoulder to shoulder with someone who can show you the ropes of doing this stuff. No experience..... I wouldn't tackle it, cause you're gonna mess it up big time. Then, it'll cost you more to do it over and you'll still have no good experience, unless you take someone with you who already knows how.

Move into this area slowly.... or be prepared to reach deep into your pockets.

dbeere

What is your level of expertise of laying vinyl on something flat, let alone over rivets ?? Your profile shows no experience at all...... and you wanna experiment based on what you read on a forum ??

I would say just about any air egress product will do the trick, but at your level, it won't matter if it's good or mediocre. You need to work shoulder to shoulder with someone who can show you the ropes of doing this stuff. No experience..... I wouldn't tackle it, cause you're gonna mess it up big time. Then, it'll cost you more to do it over and you'll still have no good experience, unless you take someone with you who already knows how.

Move into this area slowly.... or be prepared to reach deep into your pockets.
My level of expertise is not the issue, i'm simply asking for suggestions on material, not an egotistic response like i see soo much on this site. I've done many installations, i'm just new to vehicle graphics and this site in general. I really appreciate feedback though!
Thanks

Chasez

My level of expertise is not the issue, i'm simply asking for suggestions on material, not an egotistic response like i see soo much on this site. I've done many installations, i'm just new to vehicle graphics and this site in general. I really appreciate feedback though!
Thanks

I have to agree with Gino, I don't see him being wrong in saying it's best to learn side by side from someone who knows what they're doing. I learned years ago from a guy who'd been installing for 20 some years... been quite a few years since I'd done a vehicle (even flat surface vehicle) and had to do a trailer that had rivets every couple feet. Took a reprint, lots of time, and a lot of swearing to get it right! He's just preparing you for what may happen, not challenging your ability. Vehicle graphics are a completely different ball game than flat graphics whether they're cut, print, or solid sheets.

Chaz

ikarasu

Thanks for the suggestion, and you also suggest lamination right? I have the rivet brush
I have to side with others. I've been installing for a year +, not much on vehicles.. but boxes with 20-30 rivets each. I still mess up and the rivets don't look perfect. Luckly it doesn't matter and we can just let it be. I had to be shown how to do it, all the videos online teach you nothing.

I've tried a rivet brush... I've tried the rivet roller... And while they do help, you need to learn how to properly lay down the vinyl over the rivets. That's something they don't tell you... You don't just apply it like normal, then brush it and it'll magically work. You need to set it up, then the tools make it easier for you.

I'm not saying don't try it. I just suggest grabbing some scrap material, and trying it out before taking a box truck with hundreds of rivets. Goto any utility box, most will have rivets.. Just practice on one for a bit, see if you're comfortable with it.

And to answer your question.. We use 180 with 8518. I've heard good things about Averys air release, but haven't been able to try it. Generally you want something with air release / egress, conformable, and with a controltac type glue.

And if your printing... yes, you have to laminate. If you're using solid colors, you don't need to laminate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry you read my post as egotistical. It was supposed to be helpful, but I can see how someone of your caliper could read otherwise into it. If you're so good, then you should be able to use anything like I mentioned, earlier. Just shop around for the cheapest thing on the market and go to it.

Good luck......... you're gonna need a little of it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
caliper.jpg

Johnny Best

He does have a rivet brush, so he's good to go. I had the same attitude years ago when I attempted my first truck with rivets and air egress was not made yet. It was not pretty.
And, instead of looking for soo many egotistical remarks on here, look for info on what cast vinyl with what cast laminate or cast cut vinyl to use. Because putting vinyl over rivets is going to teach you that man did not invent rivets to have vinyl put over them nice and neat.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Come on down to my shop and help install a wrap on a semi trailer that I'm working on. I guarantee that you would know how to do rivets

4450 rivets

:awesome:

Do you guys ever use the Ackland Frame System for trucks like that? It seems like it would just take forever to do that many rivets.